Exterior Grout and Caulking Recommendations???

Old 11-30-12, 08:21 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior Grout and Caulking Recommendations???

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend a good "exterior" caulk and matching or near matching colored grout? The owners picked out a Mapei Keracolor "Silver" color which is just a very light gray. I "prefer" a stain resistant grout and a long lasting caulk.

1) The grout lines are very small (1/16in) due to interlocking tiles (porcelain).

2) I broke the tile pattern into four 10ft x 10ft sections (slab=10ft x 40ft total); and seperated these sections with a 1/4in grout line. The caulking will go into these 1/4in joints, for expansion purposes, in addition to the perimeters.

3) Laticrete Latasil caulking reads very good for this application but the local distributor only has 4 tubes....

Thanks,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 11-30-12 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-12, 02:39 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I "prefer" a stain resistant grout

I guess a lost art is the follow up on a project. Part of the install, at least my installs, is to return after 72 hours and apply grout sealer to the tile install. No one seems to do this anymore except me, I know it is a hastle, but it also is a critical part of the project IMO. They make commercial grade grout sealers that will render your install stain resistant for years.

Old 12-02-12, 08:00 AM
R
Thanks Crizzi,

Yes I always follow up last by sealing any grout jobs I've done. This was an exterior patio job which I've never done though so had hoped to use a grout that already had stain blocking ability. The epoxy types read perfect for this but seem very tideous.

Anyhow, Home Depot has a matching grout(Polyblend) and 100% silicone matching caulk, so this is what I'm going to use. I'll just follow up and seal as usual. The epoxy grouts are just to daunting to me. I'll save that for my own project before I attempt it on someone else's....

Ralph

Old 12-02-12, 11:55 AM
J
Ralph,

You were on the right road before at the other forum. The Laticrete caulk and grout would be better.

Polyblend is not 100% silicone.

Jaz