Subfloor Question

Old 12-03-12, 05:26 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subfloor Question

We're planning on tiling our kitchen/dining room with "wood-look" tile (6"X24").

I have a question about subfloor prep.

The joists are OK, according to the info I've got.

We have 23/32 OSB - it says: Sturd-I-Floor. Joists are 16" on center.

I'm thinking of using Ditra, to add minimal height to the finished floor. Do I need a layer of plywood on top of the OSB, or is this OK? I'd like to add little or no height to the floor, if possible, both to help the transition to the carpet in the living room as well as to make sure my dishwasher still fits under the countertop.

Right now there is laminate flooring in these rooms, I'll rip that out. I don't believe there's any layers under the laminate, but I'll rip it out if there is. Obviously, I'll need to check to make sure the OSB is in good shape and level.

So, if I can, I'll end up with the OSB on top of the joists, then Ditra, then the tile. Does that work?

Any advice?

Old 12-03-12, 10:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
OK, good info on the joist spacing but what size are they and what distance do they span between supports?

Old 12-03-12, 02:57 PM
G
Joists are 2 X 10's, span is 11'6".

I checked with a calculator on another site, and they're OK.

I've been told 23/32" OSB (nailed and glued to the joists) is OK, with Ditra. Just trying to verify that it is adequate, if in good shape. The house was built in the mid-1990's, seems to be solid. I'll have to look at the OSB when I remove the laminate, to make sure it's OK, but it looks good from the underside.

Old 12-03-12, 08:36 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi Gregg,

The guys at JB's place would not steer you wrong.

3/4" OSB subfloor in good shape meets requirements for either CBU or Ditra and tile installation. Of course the more plywood the better, but you should be good.

Check that the floor is very flat. Those are big tiles and you need a flat substrate.

Jaz

Old 12-03-12, 09:43 PM
G
OK, thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: