Options to level subfloor between two rooms

Old 12-09-12, 02:24 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Options to level subfloor between two rooms

Hi this is my first post

I am replacing the floor in a kitchen and family room with groutable vinyl tile flooring. The configuration is "open plan" - that is there is no wall separating the rooms.

The family room has carpet and the kitchen glue down vinyl sheeting. Both rooms are on a concrete slab with plywood subfloor. To match the carpet thickness, the kitchen has an additional 3/4" plywood layer. After removing the carpet there is now a 3/4" difference between the two rooms.

I see 3 options and would like opinions on the best way to level the two rooms
  1. Lay 3/4" plywood over the family room's plywood subfloor and use a leveling compound to match the thickness of the vinyl sheeting in the kitchen. Lay the new tiles over the sheet vinyl.
  2. Lay down 3/4" plywood in the family room. Attempt to remove the glued down sheeting from the kitchen. Then proceed as in (1)
  3. Lift the 3/4" plywood subfloor from the kitchen (plus vinyl sheeting) I assume there is an older plywood layer under the 3/4" layer. Lay new floor over the lower subfloor.

My thought is to go with option (1). The issue I see with (2) is that patches of glue / vinyl will be left behind or the plywood will be gouged. With (3) I do not know the quality of the subfloor under the 3/4" plywood.

I appreciate opinions or other suggestions.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-12, 02:49 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
My feeling is that everything is glued together so the easiest would be to add 3/4" to the lower floor. You will have to remove the vinyl IMO if you want the various mastics/pressure sensitive glues to adhere properly. The leftover backing on the vinyl can be removed by softening the adhesive use to put it down. This can be achieved with a heat gun, or strangely enough, a clothes iron rubbed over it on a medium setting (plan on replacing the iron afterwords though).

You can address any gouges, seams in the ply and other imperfections with floor level patching compounds.

One thing you might want to look into is how thick the new vinyl tiles are and if they are prone to "telescoping" which is that any defect under the tile will eventually work its way through to the top. This will gauge the level of smoothness you need to achieve in your subfloor preparation.

Old 12-20-12, 12:40 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I vote for option #2. Lay more 3/4" and pull the vinyl.

Old 12-20-12, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
No way to talk you into retiling the kitchen and installing hardwood in the family area, is there? Just a thought to save time and maybe some money. You can do the hardwood....we're here.