Need Adhesive to stick Onyx Tile 1x2s to a Glass Shower Wall?

Old 12-12-12, 10:05 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Adhesive to stick Onyx Tile 1x2s to a Glass Shower Wall?

Adhesive to stick Onyx Tile 1x2s to a Glass Shower Wall?

Yes, I know this sounds ambitious. This is a first for us.

The shower wall is a piece of 1/4" thick tempered glass 6' wide x 7' high. It is very well supported from behind and backlit so light comes through from inside the wall.

And advice would be appreciated for both adhesion and waterproofing ideas.

Thank You,

Steve O

Attached Images  
Old 12-13-12, 03:30 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
They make glass tile motar which should work fine in your situation. I hope that there is not any flex at all in the glass wall or you will continually have issues with tiles coming loose.

Glass Tile 4.2 lb. Thin-Set Mortar-GTMW4 at The Home Depot

Old 12-13-12, 01:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What are you going to do with the "ugly" side of the glass??

Old 12-13-12, 01:43 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by czizzi
They make glass tile motar which should work fine in your situation.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Glass tile mortar is not made to install tile on glass, it's to install glass tile on the listed substrates, and glass isn't one of them.

But, it might still work with some prep or priming. You need to call the manufacturer of the product you're considering. Any flex in the panel would be a problem too.

I have doubts anyone will guarantee your plan. For one thing glass is pretty nonporous and if you read the instructions you will see even while installing over ceramic tiles the glaze must be scarified.

Jaz

Old 12-14-12, 06:19 AM
S
Thanks you for the ideas. The glass tile mortar is made to receive glass, but not to adhere to glass, so I think it will need to be another solution. In our case we are adhering translucent onyx to glass.

I think that means I'll need to do three things:

1) etch the glass - chemically or with sandpaper?

2) Find a way to adhere the 1x2 onyx to the glass with a translucent glue/silicone/epoxy/translucent mortar that can bond to the glass?

3) Grout, ideally with an at least somewhat translucent grout - which I believe exists - starquartz?

I'll practice some samples first and I'll post anything I learn.

Thank You for any input or ideas.

Old 12-14-12, 12:49 PM
Since the tiles have a backing have you considered contact cement? Just include that in your testing and let us know the results, too.

Old 12-14-12, 04:12 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't think contact cement would be high on the list of possible solutions. Contact cement is very thin, is applied to both surface and allowed to dry. Later when the two objects are mated, that's it.

There's nothing made that I know of that will list glass as a suitable substrate. It's not something that is done much. I'm sure silicone will work, but how do you work with it in this case?

Jaz

Old 12-14-12, 04:32 PM
Oh, I agree. I was just suggesting as a test. I really don't think anything will work as well on glass as it does on a proper substrate. We did have pretty good success in placing signage on glass using contact cement, but that is really light in weight compared to the tile. I still can't envision what is happening, and still wonder about the ugly side of the glass.

Old 01-04-13, 08:47 AM
S
Grout & Enhancer/Sealer for Onyx Tile 1x2s adhered to a Glass Shower Wall?

Thank You folks for the advice. A few more questions if you have the time. I know we are pioneering here.

It seems we have found a way to adhere the onyx pieces to the glass wall with 100% silicone (see below - I'll post our test findings) and now are turning to grout. Because it is partially translucent for backlighting we would like to use Bostik's Urethane Grout Dimension Product (Diamond color).

Questions:

1) The onyx is not polished so we would like to use an enhancer/sealer. Bostik says use a waterbased sealer for the stone, but the local tile shop says use solvent based would be better. Any opinions and product recommendations?

2) Our preliminary plan is to:
-- Adhere the onyx to the glass with the silicone - wait for it to cure.
-- Then seal/enhance the onyx with a enhancer/sealer.
-- Then use the Dimension grout - wait for it to cure.
-- Then seal/enhance the onyx (and now the grout) 1 or 2 more times per the tile shops' advice.

Any timing recommendations (we can wait as long as needed)?

What am I missing or not asking about?

Dimension says no need to seal grout, but it is the onyx we're concerned about sealing?

I know this is a complicated post - thank you in advance!

Steve

As an fyi - we set up a test on a extra piece of 3' x 5' piece of glass trying 10 different types of 100% silicone adhesive products. After giving them 5 days to cure, we put the glass out in the sun where it sits in direct sunlight, major temp changes, and so far two rain and wind storms. I'll post results for all.

Chandler - the ugly side of the glass faces into a false back wall in a closet - where we have created an area to inserting all the LED back-lighting.

Old 05-20-14, 07:02 PM
C
Steve?

Was there an update to this? I'm looking to do a very similar project, and this appears to be your last post on the site - inquiring minds want to know, how did it turn out?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: