Cutting ceramic tile around pipes

Old 12-14-12, 08:42 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting ceramic tile around pipes

I am tiling my powder bathroom. However, the water pipe for the toilet is on the floor and the tile falls in the middle of the pipe. I was thinking of cutting the tile in half in order to get around the pipe. I really didn't want to remove the pipe fitting and get into welding. Will the tile look OK or will the crack be visible?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-12, 09:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could slot it from the back, fill with a small piece of tile then cover with a split escutcheon.

Old 12-15-12, 04:44 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
If you split the tile, you will see the crack in the tile. It also depends on what kind of equipment you have. I have tile cutting attachment for my roto-zip that allows me to make plunge cuts and make a circular hole in the middle of the tile. I then slip the tile over the pipe and set it in place. Do this all the time with wall tile behind the toilet. Turn the valve off, remove the hose connection to the toilet, unscrew the knob and remove. Depending on the shape of the valve, make a hole just big enough to clear everything. Then, as ray mentioned, add a split escutcheon.

Old 12-15-12, 04:53 AM
W
I have split a tile and used tile nippers to cut out the opening for the water supply. The escutcheon will cover any roughness of the cut. However, the crack will show. I suggest that you split the tile neatly and grout the seam.

Old 12-15-12, 05:32 AM

If you decide not to split the tile.....there are various bits for rotary tools as mentioned.

Another option is to use a diamond grit hole saw made specifically for cutting tile etc.

Since it's a one-off project.....an inexpensive one should suffice.

Attached Images  
Old 12-15-12, 05:09 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm with the last poster...use a diamond tip drill bit as shown in the last posting and drill the hole out.

Old 12-15-12, 06:38 PM

Maybe the simplest idea would be to actually cut off the existing valve.

This way you only need a 3/4" hole in the tile......much easier to do with a drill or roto tool.

Once the tile is installed......then you can slide on a nice one piece escutcheon.

This will easily cover up any irregularities.....the hole doesn't have to be perfect.

Then you can install a new compression type valve......no "welding" required.....

They come in both 90 degree and straight.....pick which one fits your situation best.

The water line to the toilet then connects directly to the new valve.

Also.....check closely and look at the old existing valve.....it just might be threaded onto the pipe.

If so.....then you can remove it and re-install it the same way after you finish tiling.

Don't forget to shut-off the water leading to the bathroom.....or to the whole house.

Have the tile drilled and ready to go before hand to minimize downtime.

Attached Images