Quick question about bathroom tile

Old 12-20-12, 01:48 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quick question about bathroom tile

Check the pictures out!

Picture a) http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...14328910_n.jpg
On the second floor, I removed an older vanity that was sitting atop of the now exposed spot. It had a lot of broken wood so it had to go. My question is that when I removed the vanity it exposed the floor underneath. There is about two to three inches of difference from the tile, and the wood below.

My solution: Remove the tile up until the grout, use 2x4s and plywood to have it somewhat level, and tile over the entire exposed area with a tile that accents.

Any further suggestions? I'm still new at this.

Picture b) http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...08031788_n.jpg

In the same bathroom the tile goes from the floor, to about shower height (not to the ceiling). As you can see in the picture, the job they performed. This doesnt look entirely right to me? What do you guys think? What should I do?

Thanks! I appreciate all the help. I hope I'm not imposing on everyone else with two threads.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-12, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Two to three inches is a lot. Yes, remove the 4 tiles that are not complete, but try and save all below the tile, scraping off the thinset as best you can, even if it means grinding. Then build up the bare subfloor to exact specifications called for to make it level once you thinset and tile again. Yes, use matching tile (from the ones you have stuck back.....Oh, didn't do that, Ok) or accent tile of a different color.

As far as the wall, they didn't use bullnose tile or trim strips (Schluter) to finish the job. I would probably sand down the grout they obviously used to cover their mistake, or remove the caulk if that is what it is, and just do a better job at terminating the appearance of the edge of the tile. Not much else you can do at this point.

Old 12-21-12, 05:08 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I'm not seeing 2 to 3 inches of height difference in the pictures. If it was a mud set floor, most likely only 1 to 1 1/4" difference. Wire mesh on felt paper and floor mud can get you back close to the level. Then Self Leveling Compound to finish at the same height as the rest of the floor.

The shower tile was just a lazy job of not using bullnose to finish the install. If you can find a matching or complimentary bullnose you can install and finish it correctly. Something tells me that a wider picture of the whole shower would allow us to make better suggestions for you.

Old 12-31-12, 01:26 PM
A
You're right, I was exaggerating, not sure why. Heh.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...61734923_o.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...55671616_n.jpg

As requested

Old 12-31-12, 02:00 PM
I would find an accent tile that compliments the existing tile and make sure it also comes in a bullnose border. It should have enough contrast so that it stands out, but doesn't jump out at you. It also should not be so subtle that you barely notice and it looks like a mistake or mismatch. I would create my design under the new vanity using the new field tile. I would then run the new bullnose as base molding around the bathroom walls and carry the transition to vertical and around the perimeter of the shower. This should pull the whole bathroom together.

Old 01-02-13, 03:27 PM
A
Hey guys, little question.
Now, my originally plan was to get some 2x4's, put plywood on it + mud to get it level with everything else.

Could anyone give me a better way? You guys are geniuses. What would you do, exactly about the hole?

Also, it looks like they tiled over tile, I broke off the tile underneath, it was all pink!

As for colors, I was thinking a white tile, at least then it would match my vanity's counter-top.

Old 01-02-13, 03:33 PM
C
You really need a solid base for tiles, otherwise cracking is almost eminant, you might consider removing all the old flooring, installing a new base with durock or cement board, then retile the whole thing..

Old 01-02-13, 03:42 PM
A
I hear ya, thanks for the input. I understand that's a very real possibility, the cracking and all. I really;however, need to exhaust all other options. The tile on the floor is the same as the tile around the shower, and around the bathroom. If I removed that, I'd have to remove all of it. Normally, I'd be down for that, unfortunately this is my only working bathroom (as the others are being remodelled as well) at this moment. I'll have to just spend $50-$100 and put a bandaid on this whole situation for now.

Old 01-02-13, 04:00 PM
On the floor, remove tile up to the first row of full tile. In the void under the sink, lay and staple wire lathe and fill void with self leveling compound. Skim it up to the level you need which is even with the surrounding base material that is under the tile. Once level and smooth, install your new tile. You may have to skim coat and embed some mesh tape at the seams. Follow the manufacturers recommendation on the self leveling compound to see if there needs to be felt paper under the wire lathe of if you need a specific primer to prep the wood floor.