cross bracing/bridging joists under tile floor.

Old 12-21-12, 01:43 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cross bracing/bridging joists under tile floor.

I was looking at cross bracing my SYP #2 2x8 joists under a tile floor that span 11'10''. I wasn't sure if I should go with blocking, cross bracing with wood or use simpson strong tie bracing (also called LTB40) metal. I am really partial to the simpson strong tie bracing metal but I'm not sure how that would work as the directions show it going over top of the joists and I would think that would make the floor unlevel once the sub floor T/G OSB plywood was placed over it. Anybody have experience with this stuff?

Last edited by gogrady; 12-21-12 at 01:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-12, 04:42 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I havent used the strong ties but Ive seen them. They are thin, and wont have much affect on how flat the floor is. That said, I'd use the diagonal bridging or the blocking instead. All 3 will do the job. Consider doubling all your joists, as you are bare bones minimum on your span for ceramic tile. While you have the floor open, its easy to do and good insurance.

Old 12-21-12, 04:43 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The easiest to put in IMO would be wood blocking. They all do pretty much the same job. If you go with the metal, you may have to knotch them into the joists a little so that you can glue down your first layer of subfloor (1/2") which would go under your 3/4" T&G.

Old 12-21-12, 04:47 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
minumum subfloor for ceramic tile is 5/8" then you need an underlayment.

Old 12-21-12, 05:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gogrady,

Is this the same room as in the other thread? The one where the span was 10' 11"? If so, why is it 11' 10" now? Please let us know.

Jaz