Laying tile

Old 01-02-13, 10:41 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laying tile

Question, I would like to lay tile over wood subfloor. Have been told to use cement board and use both thin set and nails to put it down. Is this the best/easiest way? I saw a product in homedepot called easy mat that is 1/4 " thick looks like foam beads and something binding it. What is the best way to do this so tile adhere and don't crack?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-13, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If you use cbu (durock or hardiebacker 1/4") you should embed it in thinset, then fasten it to the subfloor with appropriate cbu screws. Easy mat is an underlayment for laminate flooring, if it is the red stuff with foam beads on it. You can also use Ditra underlayment, which is considerably more expensive, but provides the same continuous layer you need with your tile.

NOW, to the main thing you need to let us know. How thick is your subflooring? How many layers? Sitting on how thick joisting? How long is the longest span of the joisting under the room?

Old 01-03-13, 11:08 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Easymat is sold as an underlayment for tile and stone. It's a peel and stick product. It's been around a while (HD carries it) but I've never used it. I looked at it a year or so ago but decided to go with hardiboard. I think it was a cost thing.

The web site linked has a PDF file that provides product applications and installation.

Old 01-03-13, 11:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Ditra is another underlayment you can use instead of CBU. That said, Larry threw some questions at you to make sure you have the proper structure to support tile in the first place and I'd add one more question - are you thinking about man made (ceramic, porcelain) tile or natural (marble, slate, ...)?

Edit: oops, looks like I missed that Larry threw Ditra out as well.

Old 01-03-13, 05:27 PM
Oh yeah, the Easy Mat is the sticky tile stuff. Only used it once on backsplash and it works good, IF you place your tiles correctly the first time. There's no concession for second guessing.

The way the OP was describing it is like what I use under laminate when the client forces me to put it down.

Old 01-04-13, 06:59 PM
I'll have to correct myself, and thanks Wayne for the heads up. Simple Mat is the product for the backsplashes, and not Easy Mat. Sorry for the confusion. Easy Mat is a slip layer similar to Ditra or other fabric type underlayments. I do believe cost could be a major factor.

Old 01-07-13, 11:13 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Larry. EasyMat is an underlayment for floors. You likely used a double sided tape type product like Bondera for your backspash.

There are 2 different kinds of EasyMat. One is a Peel & Stick and the other can be bonded with a polymer modified thinset. If you have a proper joist structure and subfloor for ceramic tile, theres no reason you cannot use EasyMat.

You need to tell us more about your joists and subfloor before anyone can give you proper advice. What size joists do you have, what is there on center spacing and what is there unsupported span? Give the type and grade of the joists if known. What do you currently have for a subfloor, give us the details as to type and thickness of each layer.

Old 01-07-13, 12:54 PM
Johnny, I have seen the Bondura but I believe the name on this was SimpleMat, similar to Bondura in the stickiness on both sides. Customer bought it all and wanted it installed on small backsplash, so I didn't shop it.