Need advice on odd glass tile job...

Old 01-08-13, 07:25 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice on odd glass tile job...

I am getting glass tile with custom prints for a trade show booth floor. They will be printed to show one large picture across the whole grid.

I need to figure out the safest way to transport them across the country and have them ready to be walked on.

There are 80 - 12" tiles making an 8' x 10' floor.

Here are the options I have come up with:

- Use regular adhesive and fine light grey grout with 1/16" gaps to make 4 - 4' x 5' boards for shipping ease.
- Get some type of 8' x 10' board with an extruding grid and set the tiles in their place at the trade show.

Keep in mind that these do not have to be permanent so the grout may not be necessary (or is it?). The most use at one time these would get is medium traffic for 5 hour time periods.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-13, 10:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
I think 12" tiles will need good and proper support to prevent breakage during the show. Shipping them will be the easy albeit not inexpensive part.

First, what is your budget and are you aware of the costs when shipping to a trade show and the dryage charges to get your freight into and out of the convention center? Shipping often runs double to triple the normal shipping rate if going to a convention or their advance warehouse. It is not uncommon for dryage (moving your stuff from the loading dock to the booth) to run about $1 per pound (that's each way, in and out). I have a show in Las Vegas next month and it costs about $3 per pound each way for anything going into the booth. You will pay dearly for that fancy floor both coming and going.

You cannot count on the floor being level and even though you will only be standing on the floor for 5 hours it only takes on large person to break a tile. I have only ever seen one removable/transportable real tile floor done over anything more than a small sample area. It epoxied onto aluminum honeycomb panels that are shimmed to be level and joined on the show floor. I've also seen 2 or 4 foot square display sections that were basically sturdy wooden boxes with the tile installed inside and the edge of the frame beveled to form a ramp to minimize the trip hazard. Surprisingly most often I've seen the tile set the old fashioned way with thinset and grouted on site. Because the show floors are smooth and usually sealed the tile floor is scraped up, destroying it, at the end of the show.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 01-08-13 at 11:32 AM.