Grouting thin spaces in between Tiles

Old 01-15-13, 01:46 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grouting thin spaces in between Tiles

Hey guys,

I am doing the tiling for my bathroom and I am unsure of the fastest way to tackle the grouting. The issue with this tile is that tile is not one large peice, but several smaller pieces which leaves lots and lots of thin spaces in between each tile.
So if anyone has done this before or knows the most efficient method to do, I would like to know.

I can't upload the pictures but I will do my best to describe it:
A tile is 6x12 but it is not one piece. It is composed of larger squares, rectangles and small squares/rectangles. This creates really thin spaces between the tiles which are about 1 mm or less. I don't know to grout this.

Thanks

Last edited by renovation; 01-15-13 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-13, 02:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Pictures would help, but in general spaces of 1/8" or less you should use unsanded grout. However, not seeing your situation, it is a blind call. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-15-13, 03:13 PM
R

I have tried using attachments and insert image, but none seem working.

image link Postimage.org / NoName

Old 01-15-13, 03:17 PM
R
hope it works

Postimage.org / NoName

hope it works...

Old 01-15-13, 03:52 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yeah, it works. Ouch. I'm not gonna come down hard on the installation, but I believe if you read the installation instructions they would have suggested offsetting the tile panels. The way you have them, now, leaves a large grout line which is obvious around each panel. Scooting them closer to each other would have reduced that grout joint also. Using crosses in the joints would have made them equidistant as well. Sooo, you will need to use sanded grout since you have large grout lines. I think it will work fine in the smaller joints, too. If not, you can buy unsanded grout in the same color, but not sure if I would mix the two, and you can't use unsanded in the larger lines.

Old 01-15-13, 04:17 PM
H
Its easy once you get the hang of it.

Mix your grout up in a bucket. They make what is called a float that you need to use to apply the grout. When grouting don't worry about the mess just spread the grout completely over the floor with the float. Once you are done let the grout begin to dry and then go back over it with a wet sponge.

Andrew Cox
[Company name redacted]