ceramic tile baseboard installation question - calk base?

Old 01-22-13, 09:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceramic tile baseboard installation question - calk base?

My husband & I just put down new white ceramic tile on our floor in our 4.5' x 5' powder room. This was our first time doing tile work and we thought that by going with smaller tile on mesh sheets it would be easier than cutting big squares and trimming circular cuts around the rough in for the toilet etc. I didnt think about getting all the little grout lines perfect and free of any imperfections and removing any excess thin set that came up through the cracks before grouting. My husband did the thin set and I was in charge of trimming the along 2 walls down to size using a manual slide tile cutter. What a nightmare. It's now done and I am satisfied with the results. We are waiting 48hrs and are going to seal the tile with 2 coats of sealer.

We now have to tackle the tile border along the baseboard where the tile meets the wall. We bought glazed white 2x6" bullnose tile for the job. I heard that instead of thin set to paste the tile to the wall, a very good and strong product to use is PL Premium Adhesive found at Home Depot because it adheres fast.

My question is: I have heard conflicting things about whether or not to use some sort of calking at the very base of the tile where it comes in contact with the floor or should I use the same sanded grout that I used on the floor tile? Are the corner seams between the tile usually caulked instead of grouted if caulking is used along the floor seam?

I am planning on using grout in between each bullnose tile. Also, what is typically applied to the very top of the tile along the edge where it touches the wall? Grout as well? I just want to do it right!

Here is a photo of my tile so far. Any and all help would be appreciated!
Name:  IMAG0970.jpg
Views: 33731
Size:  14.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-13, 03:59 PM
W
Conventional wisdom and common practice suggest that the best way to finish the transition jkoint between the wall and the floor is caulk. You can purchase caulk that matches most common grout colors. The thinking is that surfaces at different planes will move independantly. That seems to make sense.

With that said, I have spent the last year or so checking out professional tile jobs in commercial buildings such as restaurants, hotels etc. and the overwhelming majority of transition joints are grouted.

I would use mastic to set the baseboard tiles although I suspect a good construction adhesive would work as well. I've never used it though.

Old 01-22-13, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I'm afraid 2" bullnose won't be tall enough to cover the boogers you have on the wall. As Wayne said, mastic on the walls would suffice since it is not a wet area, and grout between the lines is good. I would caulk the top of the tiles to blend in with the wall. Have you considered sanitary base molding for the walls? It will sit directly on your floor tile and blend in with both the floor and walls. Daltile Semi-Gloss Wall Ceramic Sanitary Cove Base 4 1/4" x 6" at Menards

Old 01-24-13, 02:43 PM
B
Help with ceramic cove base corners and lack of corner piece available

Thank You for the advice! I went to Lowes this morning (Home Depot near me does not even carry cove base tile) and got these tiles - American Olean Ceramic in "Line White":

Shop American Olean 4-1/4-in x 6-in Starting Line White Ceramic Cove Base Tile at Lowes.com

They are 4.25 x 6 and seem a great option. So I spent some time to prep and cip off the old tile glue as much as I could, sand and get the area ready. Then I started laying out the tile to see how everything would line up and realized that the corners - where the tile meet will have a huge gap. I looked online and many tile companies sell an inward facing cove tile corner to match their tiles but I did not see ANY at lowes. I loowed on their website and did not see any either!

All I saw was this: Shop American Olean 1/2-in x 6-in Starting Line White Ceramic Tile Liner at Lowes.com

and this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_302934-74035-SL101/28BDCC1P2_0__?productId=3192933&Ntt=american+olean+line+white

There is a pretty substantial gap between the tiles where they meet.. I cannot imagine filling it in with grout??? Can you please help me to figure this out.

Name:  IMAG1014.jpg
Views: 44914
Size:  13.3 KB

Old 01-24-13, 03:05 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You will either have to cope the corners or miter them both at 45 degrees to get a good fit. Most likely this would be done with a wet saw. Check with the big box stores, I seem to remember that they will do a couple of cuts for you but never used the option as I own a couple of wet saws. You can also accomplish a coped corner with a diamond blade attached to a grinder (with a lot of dust I might add).

Old 01-24-13, 03:17 PM
B
Ahhhh... why does this have to be so difficult! .. Thank you for the advice. My husband is up at the store right now checking to see about getting help with a few cuts..

Old 01-24-13, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
C'est la vie. Yeah, it would have helped if the store had carried all you would need for an installation, including inside and outside corner pieces. Let us know if he is successful or not.