Asbestos tiles in basement

Old 01-23-13, 01:27 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos tiles in basement

Hello:

There are asbestos tiles in the basement of a ranch house. They had been covered with rug, but the rug was removed during the summer. I plan on buying the house, living in it for a couple of years, and then possibly selling it. Or I may stay there for the long term.

My questions- Can/should the asbestos tiles be removed? Can I cover the asbestos floor tiles with a flooring like Allure from Home Depot. Would this effectively solve the asbestos problem as I reside in the dwelling?

In terms of me buying the house, do I have a right to have the asbestos tiles removed or otherwise covered/encased? If the seller won't do it, what kind of a mark down is this problem worth?

When I go to sell the house in the future, if the asbestos tiles are there, even if they are covered by an Allure type product, will the fact that asbestos tiles are present impact my ability to sell the house? And if so, about (just a guesstimate) how much would this reduce the future sale value of the home.

Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-13, 03:19 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Asbestos tiles will not harm you unless they become flaky and start deteriorating. If they are intact, they can not harm you. The harm comes if you try to remove and disturb them to the point that fibers are released into the air.

I would recommend covering them with another layer of flooring. One that is particularly good is a floating luxury vinyl tile called Kinecto (from metro flooring). It comes in many looks from stone to tile with grout lines. They adhere to each other and float over existing flooring. They have commercial warranties in the 25 yr range and are relatively easy to work with and put down.

Old 01-23-13, 03:22 PM
U
Thanks for the tip. I will look more into the product you mentioned.

Old 01-24-13, 05:32 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 107 Votes on 99 Posts
Are you certain they are asbestos? Did you have them tested?

I agree completely with what czizzi said, covering them (encapsulation) is an accepted method of ensuring that the fibers don't become airborne.

That said, many states these days require you to fill out a disclosure form when selling a house. If you know they are asbestos tiles, you're legally responsible for disclosing that. Even if they are suitably encapsulated, just the mere mention of asbestos may turn away buyers... even if it is perfectly safe.

If you're considering selling soon, I would at least give an environmental company a call to get a rough price. Based on square footage, they may even be able to estimate over the phone. Vinyl tile (I believe) is a Type 1 remediation, which means they'll remove it with respirators and suits, but don't need the whole negative pressure, shower, etc. setup, so it may not be too bad cost-wise. You'll have to decide whether removing it now so you can say that your house is 'clean' as far as you know is worth the cost versus ill-informed buyers being scared away later.

Again, just something to consider.

Old 01-24-13, 06:13 PM
J
Asbestos remediation for floor tiles, what a racket.

Jaz

Old 01-25-13, 06:04 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 107 Votes on 99 Posts
Asbestos remediation for floor tiles, what a racket
I don't disagree... but... it's the "A" word.