what size drill for mixing thinset

Old 01-24-13, 07:17 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what size drill for mixing thinset

I'm starting to tile my bathroom and am wondering what amp/speed drill do I need to mix thinset/mortor. I have a cordless I don;t want to burn that up but rather by a corded drill and of course not spend more than I have to.
Any info is helpful
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-13, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
You'll probably need something with a 1/2" chuck.

You should have Harbor Freights near you.

1/2" Heavy Duty Low Speed Drill

Search results for: 'mortar mixer'

Old 01-25-13, 05:12 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
The drill PJmax would do the trick and isn't too expensive either (wish I could get one locally for that price).
I used my very simple B&D corded drill to mix in the last. Just make sure to not cover the vent holes so you don't over heat the drill.

Old 01-25-13, 05:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
I have that HF drill. I bought it to replace my 40 yr old B&D 1/2" drill, works fine ...... although I've used them primarily for mixing drywall texture

Mike, HF also sells tools mail order and online. They put in a store a few towns away from me but most of my HF tools were bought mail order over the last 30 yrs.

Old 01-25-13, 05:58 AM
W
Very good advice to not cover the vent holes while mixing. It's very tempting to get a solid grip on the drill while mixing and in doing so cover them up. Thought I was going to burn my 3/8" drill out as I couldn't get out of the habit.

One other thing, when you're finished mixing the mortar for the day, clean off the mixing paddle (and other mortar tools, bucket) right away! Otherwise you end up with a larger heavier paddle. Fixable with a hammer for the most part, but I pretty much mashed my mixer to an unusable state by doing so.

Mark and Mike, I just checked out the HF site. Wow, great prices, but they won't estimate shipping costs to Canadians. Was looking for a router for my deck fix you guys suggested a while back. Won't allow you to put in a postal code, just a zip code. Boooo.

Old 01-25-13, 06:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Overkill, but I use my Hole Hawg for mixing as well as drilling holes. Low RPM and definite High Torque. It sits at a 90 degree angle to the bucket making mixing a little easier.

Old 01-25-13, 06:35 AM
N
marksr,

Shipping across the border would double the cost for sure. If it wasn't for this, I'd have already ordered one as my poor B&D took one too many beatings with the concrete drilling I was doing over the last two weeks.

Old 01-25-13, 10:42 AM
W
Good info guys, a friend says he has a 6 amp or so 3/8" drill that I could use. Anyone know if that would do the trick?
if not I will look at HF for a purchase.
thanks again.

Old 01-25-13, 10:46 AM
W
That's what I used, but I would recommend not mixing up a huge amount at once.

Old 01-25-13, 10:55 AM
N
My B&D is about that size and it was fine. as wildbill7145 mentioned, don't mix a lot at once and make sure it can cool down between mixes (and don't cover the vent holes with your hand and/or gloves).

Old 01-25-13, 12:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
I didn't realize that shipping to Canada would be a problem
Always knew there was a reason other than the extreme cold that I didn't live north of the border

Old 01-25-13, 12:45 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I always mix my mud by hand with a trowel. If it is loose enough to stir with a paddle then I always have issues with the thinset getting everywhere and not being able to pick it up and move it around. Loose mud on walls will lead to a sag fest that would drive me crazy. I mix it just stiff enough to stand up on its own when I drag a trowel through it.

Old 01-26-13, 06:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
shipping to Canada would be a problem
Mark, they look like guns, so they have to go through a more rigorous inspection, I guess. Oops, wrong thread.