Grout line in a basement shower is always wet

Old 01-25-13, 12:00 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout line in a basement shower is always wet

I had a basement shower put in 2 yrs ago, and this winter we are starting to see that the grout line is always wet/moist where the floor meets the wall. The moisture only appears to be about the width of one tile. Also, I do not see any water pooling at the base of the wall that would keep it wet.

I'm not sure if this is helpful but, the other side of the shower wall where we are getting the moisture is the foundation. But the contractor studded, insulated and put up cement board(?). The contractor also poured the shower pan.

Any thoughts on what could be the cause of the moisture?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-13, 12:52 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I'm at a loss on how the contractor "poured the shower pan". The transition between wall and floor should not be grout, but should be a color matching flexible grout that looks like grout. If you have access to a small speed level lay it in various spaces around the shower floor to see if everything slopes toward the drain. I have a feeling that the pan was installed incorrectly and your pan does not properly sheet water toward the drain.

Old 01-25-13, 01:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you're seeing is from moisture wicking into the backer board. It's likely the contractor didn't leave a space between the shower-pan-membrane and the backer board and so you get the wicking. It's also possible that the shower was built without a pre-slope, therefore the membrane is not pitched towards the drain and the weep holes within the drain.

Either way, it just wasn't built right most likely .

Jaz