Carpet to self stick tile.

Old 02-03-13, 08:02 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Carpet to self stick tile.

I have a 94 singlewide and want to replace the carpet in my living room. I haven't removed the carpet yet but I assume the subfloor is osb. I am replacing the carpet because I have a dog that has bladder control issues and I can't tolerate the smell. I'm also pregnant and don't want my baby coming into contact with the contaminated carpet.

In my kitchen area I can feel the seam of the subfloor. My washer dryer hookups are on the exterior wall along a hallway that connects with the kitchen. I can feel a small difference in height on either side of the seam. I assume this comes from weight but I don't know. I can feel a slight movement when stepping on the lower side of the seem. I also feel this around my floor air vents. The reason I'm bringing that up is 1) because I'm curious what causes this and 2) I'm concerned I may face a similar problem when I remove the carpet and don't have the thickness of the carpet and padding to hide it.

I'm looking to replace the carpet with peel and stick tile. I've never done any type of flooring but I'm pretty handy in general and am certain I can handle it. I'm not looking for a floor that'll last a lifetime. Just something that'll do for now until I can afford something better in a couple years.

Please advise me on how to prep the subfloor. I've read some people cover the floor with 1/4" luan. If I have OSB will the tile stick directly to it? Should I use some type of sealer to seal the dog urine?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-13, 03:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Most MHs use 5/8" particle board for the sub floor. The height difference is likely where the PB got wet and swelled. The weak areas are usually where the PB has deteriorated and no longer as strong as it once was. The PB in MHs is prone to water damage, usually along exterior walls and near plumbing. A leaky dog probably doesn't help any.

The first order of business would be to remove the carpet, sweep the floor and assess the damage. Any swollen or weak PB should be cut out and replaced with 5/8" plywood or OSB. Any urine stains on the remaining PB should be sealed with a pigmented shellac primer like Zinnser's BIN. You would then install the 1/4" underlayment to make for a nice level surface to apply your tile.

Old 02-04-13, 07:18 AM
T
I will most probably be doing this within the next 2 weeks, more likely this weekend. What happens if I don't use an underlayment and apply to the osb followed by a self stick sealer? I read on another forum that this would work but I don't know either way.

With the Zinnser's BIN, do I need to apply that to the whole floor or just the areas that are stained? I don't know that they're stained but it'd be nothing short of a miracle if they weren't. Leaky dogs are hard to fix.

As far as the weak seam goes the reason I think it's associated with weight is I didn't notice it until putting the washer and dryer there. My dad mentioned awhile back that I needed to have someone go under the home and place shims between the floor and the joist to close the gap. does that sound right? To my knowledge there hasn't been a water leak. When the washer spins it shakes the whole house.

I know that issue needs to be corrected but one thing at a time. Being pregnant I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Old 02-04-13, 07:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
First, the carpet can be cleaned and is not a problem for a baby.

That said, it's your home and you can do what you want. Being pregnant, however, I would be a little concerned about using BIN without pretty good ventilation - that's a job I'd maybe look to have someone else do for you.

If you're going to pull the carpet, I would go ahead and then report back here with what you see in the subfloor. I believe some of it is going to need to be replaced from the sound of it but maybe you'll get lucky.

Old 02-04-13, 07:32 AM
W
If you are pregnant, PLEASE don't use BIN. It's one of the harshest chemical smelling product in a painters arsenal. If I ever have to use it, I always ensure the area is very well ventilated and I use a respirator.

We have had dogs with bladder problems in the past as well. We found a product called Natures Miracle. Works incredibly well, all natural ingredients (as far as I remember). Spray, let sit, wipe up, done.

I'm going to reiterate again, don't use BIN when you are pregnant.

Old 02-04-13, 09:27 AM
T
Thanks so much for the heads up on the BIN product. I could have someone do that step for me and not come back inside until the smell was gone. I will explain a little more about the carpet situation. I have 3 dogs. One of which has bladder control issues. The other 2 sometimes go behind him and mark these areas. As you can imagine, this has made quite a mess over time. I've attemped to clean this carpet with all kinds of urine removers. I've had no luck. I'm usually not here when this happens so it soaks into the padding. The carpet feels grundgy and I'm concerned about the bacteria that would be trapped in the padding. I know I could have it professionally cleaned but honestly the cost isn't worth it with the condition of the carpet.

I have not felt any shifting of the floor or a seam in the living room area. I was just curious about how to handle the situation if I do in fact discover it once the carpet is removed.

Old 02-04-13, 09:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Carpet can be cleaned, saturated padding would need to be replaced.

Old 02-04-13, 09:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Tammy, I don't like peel and stick tile, but if you want to install them, you really will need to put down an underlayment to accept the glue equally. I am afraid your particle board flooring will not be a good substrate and the tiles will release over time (short time). Using a 1/4" luan in 4x8 sheets would be best. Of course using a narrow crown stapler with 1" or better staples would speed things along. You could rent the compressor and stapler if you don't have access to one.

Old 02-04-13, 09:40 AM
T
Floor looks plywood to me? Although it's entirely possible someone replaced that piece of flooring.

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-13, 09:47 AM
T
I had considered cleaning the carpet and replacing the padding. I'm concerned left over traces of the urine would cause the dog to continue to go in that area. What would be a good alternative to peel and stick for my situation? Sheet vinyl? That's what I have in the rooms that aren't carpet.

Old 02-04-13, 09:59 AM
I know you are on a budget, and want to do this all on your own. I admire this, but caution you to do little yourself that will harm you or the baby. For instance, the BIN thingy, lifting and rolling heavy carpet, dragging it to the dumpster, lifting it into the dumpster, handling 4x8 sheets of plywood, being bent over forever placing tiles. Take it easy. OK the father in me is over......

You do have plywood. Now whether or not it goes through the entire area, you'll need to determine that after removal or selective exploratory surgery. If you do have plywood throughout, you may be able to put down the tiles. I would have someone come in and apply the BIN, airing it out well until you can return. ODO Ban is a good neutralizer of pet odors as well.

Sheet vinyl may be a viable alternative. Of course I'd have someone do that for me as it is heavy, unwieldy, and you make a bad cut, it's through.

Keep us posted on your discoveries and we'll help all we can.

Old 02-04-13, 10:04 AM
T
I pulled up the air registers in different rooms and it all appears to have a plywood subfloor. I chcked under my vinyl sheet flooring and it appears the same although the top of the wood is green, I assume it's adhesive. As long as the floor is in fact plywood what would my prep be? Make sure the floor is clean and smooth?

Old 02-04-13, 10:04 AM
W
Given your situation, I think keeping the carpet is a terrible idea. Your dogs bladder issue sounds ongoing, and the other dogs aren't going to stop the marking behaviour. Thus, the carpet should go. Especially with carpet like what you've got which will only serve to harbour bacteria, dog fur, and in this case possible mold underneath from the urine issue. Not conducive to a newborn on the way who's going to be crawling around on the floor in no time.

Not sure what your best alternative is. I'm a painter, but I think the pain of maintaining the carpet to a satisfactory level will be more work than an alternate solution.

Old 02-04-13, 10:23 AM
T
Chandler, thanks for the concern. If my dad weren't struggling to recover from a back surgery I'm sure he wouldn't allow me to do this. I like to be independent. I believe by learning to do things myself I'm better off in the long run.

I would be doing this at a slow and steady pace. For carpet removal I'd cut it into managable pieces to be carried out. I have curb side trash service and can just pay the small fee for the pickup if necessary. I will have a helper, although she's not really the get down in the dirt and get it done kinda person. Between the two of us I think we can bear the load without putting a strain on the baby. She may be able to recruit her father to come help out with the muscle.

I figured pulling up the air registers would be a decent way of checking for flooring consistancy. I have sheet vinyl in my bathroom and the vent is about 2 inches from the wall. The sheet of plywood comes all the way underneath the wall so I assume this plywood was put down from the factory.

I'm a little hesitant about using sheet vinyl because it is so heavy and bulky. My room is around 14'x13'. That'd be a pretty large roll of vinyl. It scares me that I may miscut, having never attempted such a thing. Also if I do it incorrectly and have to pull the vinyl back up I'll have a huge mess to deal with.

I don't think laminate would be a good choice because I assume it would absorb the urine if my dog has an 'accident.' I know a lot of people would just get rid of the dog but I don't want to punish him for something that he can't control. I will be looking into ways to keep him for using the bathroom in the house but I obviously need to deal with what has already happened.

Old 02-04-13, 10:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Sealing the plywood, replacing the padding and cleaning the carpet would remove the smell but it does not sound like that in and of itself is going to cause the dogs to stop. When we have this happen, we peel the carpet up and clean it from both sides. It sounds like you have concerns the carpet is not worth this effort (and expense) and that's fine. Sheet vinyl would be a good choice instead but I personally would hire the installation done for that for the reasons Chandler listed as well.

Edit: You snuck a response in while I was typing. I agree, laminate would be a poor choice here.

Old 02-04-13, 10:41 AM
T
Mitch, if you don't mind me asking - how do you clean both sides? I ask in case this occurs in one of my bedrooms where the dogs occasionally are. Do you use a steam cleaner on one side then flip it to the other? I've never even thought about that being a possibility.

I did look into having someone else put down sheet vinyl. I was quoted around $800 labor only. I know it's not easy work but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get this done. This is a transition home until I can afford something better. I have savings but I try to spend it wisely. I want what is best for my son.

Old 02-04-13, 10:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Vinyl is not cheap like some people intuit - we found we could replace the vinyl in our units with ceramic more cheaply.

Yes, we clean one side and then flip it over. On occasion, we have the whole piece removed and this gets done in the garage. Carpet is easier to clean than you think, it's usually the padding and floor below people forget about which retain the odor.

Old 02-04-13, 11:04 AM
T
For the shellac, it says a gallon covers 500 sqf. Would it be best to go ahead and get a gallon and coat the whole floor a couple times? Or is that unnecessary? Do you roll it on like paint? I'll have someone else do this part and make sure the house has plenty of time to air out. I just want to make sure I tell them the correct way of doing it.

If I go the tile route, will it stick to the BIN? Would a self stick tile sealant be recommended after the tile is down?

This is the correct product, right?
B-I-N 1-Gal. Shellac-Based White Primer-Sealer-182406 at The Home Depot

Old 02-04-13, 11:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yep, that's the stuff. I think of it like painting - just make sure you get it on thick enough to cover every square inch.

BIN is not the best primer for getting other things to stick on top of it but vinyl tiles in general seem to stick best if a separate adhesive is used anyway.

Old 02-04-13, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
One warning, if you patch the floor. 5'8" plywood and 5/8" particle board are not always the same thickness.

Old 02-04-13, 12:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
And I know someone suggested ceramic. The floor in a mobile home will NOT be stiff enough for ceramic tile.

Old 02-04-13, 01:23 PM
S
Group Moderator
Sorry if I was not clear - I did not recommend ceramic, I just used it as a reference to reinforce vinyl can be expensive.

Old 02-04-13, 01:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Almost every MH I've worked on had 5/8" PB, both 5/8" plywood and OSB while not a perfect match, it's close enough to not be a problem. With carpet, the padding will hide the minute difference, for vinyl, the under layment makes it a non issue. It's possible additional framing under the MH will strengthen the weak spots.

BIN is the best sealer for sealing both stains and odors! It does have an extreme odor and for some reason the fumes and you being pregnant didn't register in my brain Fresh air ventilation and a respirator would help but I don't know if it would be enough. Hopefully you know someone you could sweet talk into doing that part for you The stains need to be fully covered and it's best to paint an area bigger than the stain just to make sure.

I also don't like peel and stick tiles - they just don't have a record of lasting long I'm not real good at laying vinyl so what I like to do is use the commercial vinyl tiles that you glue down. Most any big box store sells them. Again, I'm not sure how safe the adhesive is for someone that's pregnant.

Old 02-04-13, 03:11 PM
T
I considered going with vct and adhesive but I'm having trouble finding something that won't look completely weird in the living room lol.

Old 02-04-13, 03:47 PM
Tammy, I just had one of those "V-8" moments, duh. Look into Allure flooring. It has different designs and lays down in strips about 8" wide by about 3' long, and have an adhesive tab to hold them together. Basically it floats, but is pretty moisture resistant and kid proof.

You remind me of one of my clients. Her husband is a doctor and can afford whatever she wants, I guess, but she insists on doing things herself. She laid an entire room with Allure and it turned out super. She is also the one I mentioned in another post who couldn't get anyone to set her septic tank and field during the housing boom. She studied, went to Atlanta, got her septic certificate, hopped on her husband's back hoe and did it herself. She probably weighs in at 90 lbs.
I don't doubt your ability to do this. Check into the Allure and give some comments, please.

Old 02-05-13, 02:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm having trouble finding something that won't look completely weird in the living room
You could use a big rug [like an oriental or cheaper version] to make the living rm more inviting.

Old 02-06-13, 12:06 AM
T
Anyone know where to buy zinsser bin in store? I'm only able to find it online. Is there an alternative to that particular product? If necessary I'll buy it online.

Old 02-06-13, 12:16 AM
T
Disregard that question. It's now showing up on the lowes website to pick up in store. What type of roller would work best for plywood? Just a regular one that you'd paint the wall with?

Old 02-06-13, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, most any roller cover will work although a 1/2"- 3/4" would probably work best. I don't normally advocate using cheap roller covers but for a job like this they are fine. If the roller cover sheds any it won't hurt anything and it's cheaper to throw it away than it is to clean it. A roller pole will save your back

Were you able to find a volunteer to apply the BIN for you?

Old 02-06-13, 12:07 PM
T
I have a roller, pole, and covers left over from when I painted awhile back. After my experience trying to paint a textured ceiling with a regular cover and not one of the ones with the little splits in it - I figured I should ask to be certain. It's amazing how much easier things go with the correct supplies.

Yes, I do have someone who will apply the BIN for me.

Old 02-06-13, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
paint a textured ceiling with a regular cover and not one of the ones with the little splits in it
Not sure what kind of roller cover you are referring to but I always paint textured ceilings with a regular 9" roller with 1"-1.5" nap [depending on how thick/rough the texture is]

I know it can be dependent on your weather conditions but having the windows open and maybe a fan to help exhaust the paint fumes is the quickest way to get rid of the odor.... and pigmented shellac has one

Old 02-06-13, 02:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
I got the family a weekend at the beach when I was two years old - the old man was supposed to be watching me but decided to take a nap so I showed him by making a line around the walls in the room with a permanent marker. The stink of the shellac primer was so bad we checked out for the weekend and went over to Panama City.

Old 02-06-13, 05:11 PM
T
I have popcorn ceilings and tried using a non-textured nap. It made a mess, the texture would fall off the ceiling and get caked in the nap. Got the foam one with slits at lowes and it was easy rolling then.

I went to lowes tonight and looked at their flooring. I noticed they have a primer for self stick tiles in the same aisle as the tiles. Does this need to be applied on top of the BIN? It was my intention to ask an associate at lowes but there was no one around. I figured I may get a better answer here anyway.

Old 02-06-13, 08:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Tammy - I moved your roofing question for better visibility. While a lot of the guys here post in multiple topics, you give yourself the best odds posting specifically.

Old 02-06-13, 09:15 PM
T
Thank you. Next time I'll make sure to direct my question at the right crowd.

Old 02-07-13, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't really know anything about a primer for self stick tiles but suspect it's main purpose is to give you a good clean surface to apply the tiles. It would also prevent dry thirsty wood from drinking up the adhesive which could result in a weak bond. I would expect the BIN would negate the need for the tile primer but don't know for sure.