Using Waterproof Glue to Lay Peel and Stick Vinyl Floor Tile

Old 02-04-13, 05:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Using Waterproof Glue to Lay Peel and Stick Vinyl Floor Tile

I am getting ready to start a project that involves putting down peel and stick vinyl tiles on a concrete floor that occasionally gets wet from water leakage. I have been told that to assure the peel and stick won't come up, install it by adding waterproof glue to the back of the tile before placing it position.

My reason for wanting to do this is I have foursquare finger parquet wood flooring (Armstrong/Honey) in two hallways of my tri-level home. I can't use wood flooring on the basement floor because of the occasional water. I can't find resilient sheet vinyl with the foursquare finger pattern so I seem to have to be resorting to using the peel and stick.

Has anyone ever done this or know if it is feasible? Or, if anyone knows of a supplier/manufacturer of resilient sheet vinyl with the above mentioned pattern, I would appreciate your input.

(Sample pattern attached)

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-13, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If you have even occasional water problems, adding flooring of any type may not be a good idea. No amount of glue you use will keep the peel and stick tiles down. You may use a VCT glue and get some results. I'd address the water issue first, then tackle the flooring.

Old 02-05-13, 06:13 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 107 Votes on 99 Posts
I agree with Larry, water in your house is never a good thing. I don't think vinyl is a good growing environment for mold, but I wouldn't want to test it.

That said, I've had luck with Liquid Nails. In an older house, there were always a couple vinyl tiles popping around the basement perimeter because of moisture. A few dabs of Liquid Nails (or similar construction adhesive) and they never moved again. You just need to be sure to firmly install the tiles so you don't have ridges where the adhesive is.

Old 02-05-13, 11:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Another vote for addressing the water issue first.

From where is the water coming?

Old 02-05-13, 11:52 AM
B
Thanks! We have been in this house for about 35 years and we have tried to address the water problems with plumbers numerous times. The problem is the age of the house and cast iron pipes that have deteriorated over the years. There is no way to get to them to do replacement/repairs short of jackhammering the concrete floor, tearing and digging out a 20'x20' brick patio and walkway. My husband and I are not "spring" chickens any more and can't even think about considering such an extensive undertaking!! We'll let the kids figure it out after we are gone!

Old 02-05-13, 11:56 AM
B
It's not like the water issue happens a lot. We have had issues about 6 times in 35 years...and they are never floods by any means. Just a washing machine drain pipe getting lint buildup and overflowing occasionally and a shower stall drain that only leaks if "I" get in the stall to clean the walls. Never happens with my husband who takes showers daily in that stall...go figure!