Applying Nonsanded grout over sanded grout?

Old 03-01-13, 06:10 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Applying Nonsanded grout over sanded grout?

Applied sanded grout in our shower with white subway tiles upon the recommendation from Home Depot guy. It looks and feels awful! Wondering if I can remove some of the sanded grout with a removal tool and apply some nonsanded grout over top? Will it adhere properly? And will I need to seal the nonsanded grout?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-13, 03:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You may be in luck. First, you learned a lesson not to listen to certain folks. Secondly, the sanded grout was probably too course to sink in well to the joints and is really sitting on top of the tile joint. You won't be able to directly apply the non sanded grout over what is already there. Sadly, you will need to remove all the old grout. I would use a thin blade to remove it. A grout removal blade may be too thick and can scratch the edges of your tiles. I would opt for something like a plexiglas cutter and just run it in the grooves. Once it is all out, you can wipe it down and apply the correct grout, take the unused portion of the sanded grout back to the store manager and get a refund and an apology.

Name:  acryliccutter.jpg
Views: 3788
Size:  3.8 KB

Old 03-02-13, 03:40 AM
W
What is the width of the tile joint and what do you mean by "it looks awful?"

Can you post a photo?

Old 03-02-13, 07:37 PM
K
Thanks Chandler for the "sad" news. Thought this might be the unfortunate answer. So nonsanded won't adhere to sanded grout? I guess the alternative is looking into getting a plexiglas cutter or just dealing with the rough grout and color. We'll see... thanks!

Old 03-02-13, 07:41 PM
K
It looks awful because it isn't as white as I had hoped it would be and it is really rough. I'm concerned, even with sealing, that it will become a problem with dirt etc. and become even more discolored.
Will see if I can get a good picture to post... oh and joints are about 1/8".

Old 03-02-13, 07:45 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Will see if I can get a good picture to post...
Thanks. See How To Put Pictures In Your Post and How To Include Pictures if you run into questions doing that.

Old 03-03-13, 07:09 AM
W
Sanded grout should be OK for a 1/8" joint. However, 1/8" is the minimum width recommended for sanded grout.

If the grout is rough as you describe it may be because it wasn't "worked" when it was installed. Typically the last cleaning swipes with a sponge (or finger) will include tooling the grout lines, making them smooth and very slightly concave.

If you have a color problem the only way I know how to fix it is to remove the existing grout and start over.

Old 03-03-13, 09:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yep. Usually subway tiles will have a 1/16th" grout line, but it can vary. That was the reasoning behind my post. When you do the grout, clean as much as you can off the tiles and the joint. I like to take the back of an old (or new) toothbrush and tool between the tiles giving the grout an even depth. The nylon won't harm the tile.