Tile Floor install questions!

Old 03-03-13, 11:45 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile Floor install questions!

I have been reading (many doityourself.com forums) and watching videos (the good and the bad) about redoing the floors in my new house. This is my first house. Its 24 years old, solid slab concrete foundation. The vinyl is original linoleum company (so said the back of the stuff I removed), and the carpets are approximately 15 years old, it appears that they were treated very poorly and rarely had a cleaning. The house was a custom built home with 2x6 walls, blown in insulation, as well as maple baseboards.

I took the leap this weekend and stripped the vinyl and removed the toilet. The toilet valve needed to be replaced as it began leaking all over the floor and would not seal. I realized that the water was seeping under the vanity, I decided to remove the vanity and just tile under the vanity as well (I previously wanted and planned to but at the last minute I decided against it, I had enough tile either way.) It would be easier because the bathroom is only 5' x 6.5'. I undercut the door jams.

So everything came out, the heater was turned on and the floor dried for several hours, once the floor was dry I scraped all of the vinyl adhesive off with the razor scraper and mopped the floors. I laid two layers of RedGaurd (dietra type material without fiber?) for crack isolation and waterproofing. I then spent several hours centering the diagonal design with 12 x 12 tiles. (turns out the walls are not square) I laid all of the solid tiles in white fortified thin-set and it sits drying overnight awaiting me to cut and position all the cut pieces.

I have several questions!

What is the easiest way to cut down the vanity so I do not have to remove the mirror (its put up on the wall with liquid nail it appears) as well as there are several pipes from the laundry room that I cannot move. My only choice is to cut it down. I expect that I will only need to cut it down by 3/8 or so. Should I do it with a fine tooth circular saw or is there another method that I don't know about?

Should I keep the old baseboards or update them to tile?

If I go to tile should I use mastic or thin-set?

Thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-13, 03:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Cutting the vanity can be done with a circular saw. The only tricky part will be cutting where the toe kick is. Not much room for the saw foot. Yes, you will need to measure from your tile to the mirror for an accurate cut. Wait until the tile is in for this operation. If you like the baseboards, keep them. I don't think I would go to all the trouble of doing a tile base on such a small bathroom area. If you do go with tile, you can use either mastic or thinset for the wall trim tiles. Mastic takes up less space between the wall and the tile.