Some Trouble Replacing Subfloor Around Toilet

Old 03-10-13, 02:46 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some Trouble Replacing Subfloor Around Toilet

I'm in the process of replacing my bathroom flooring. Under the tile were 2 layers of plywood. My plan was to replace the top layer with cementboard, which I've read is much preferred. Everything was fine until I got to the toilet.

i removed the toilet, and started playing with the flange. It's PVC, and is glued to the piping underneath.

Is there any easy way to replace the plywood around the flange? I'd like to avoid cutting the flange, and trying put a new one on. I had expected the flange to come of, and allow me to just cut a hole in the sheet I lay down, them put a new flange back on over it. No such luck

I'd appreciate any help. A wife without a bathroom is not a happy household.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-13, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You'll need to determine the thicknesses of the plywoods that are there presently. You may need both for rigidity. CBU offers no support at all, so it would be an add on at 1/4". You would raise the toilet flange by siliconing in a flange extender and screwing it to the floor. No need to remove the old one, just build it up to meet the new floor level.

For proper flooring support we would need to know the thickness of the layers of plywood, the construction of the joists, size, spacing and the unsupported length of the joists under this room.