Can I put tile on plywood without hardiboard?

Old 03-11-13, 12:33 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I put tile on plywood without hardiboard?

I had to replace a small section of subfloor in my mobile home.
Since the original parquet had rotted, I don't have enough to put back.
The area is right at the front door and is about 3' x 6'.
The new subfloor I put down is 3/4" plywood, but it meets up with some of the original particleboard at the edge.
I have some sheets of 1" x 1" tile (kinda like what's in a shower) that my friend gave me. Everyone says to put durock or hardiboard down first but that will make the tile too tall.
What is the problem with putting the tile on the wood? if it is just movement & flexing, we're fine. but if the wood is going to soak up the water from the thinset & rot, it's not

If you could please email me at XXXXXXXXXX because I don't know how to get back here and I don't know if they email me replies.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 03-11-13 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Removed contact info and request for contractor.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-13, 01:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums Kari!

Most MH particle board subfloors are 5/8" thick. So if your 3/4" patch lined up it probably means that the edges of the remaining PB are swelled and more should have been replaced.

Generally it's not a good idea to use ceramic tile in a MH. Because of how they are built the floor isn't stable enough for tile - it can/will crack. Not stiffening up the floor with additional plywood and cement board would just make it worse. It would be better to use vinyl or vinyl tile. No bigger than the area is the cost would be minimal.

Old 03-11-13, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Kari...I removed your contact info and request for a contractor. Not allowed under the forum rules. It's just a magnet for spammers.