What thinnest to use on bathroom walls?

Old 03-14-13, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What thinnest to use on bathroom walls?

Good day to all. I have remodeled my bathroom and I would like help on what thinset to use when installing large 12 x 24 porcelain tiles. I purchased a bucket of tile adhesive as per the salesman at the big box store when I purchased the tile. I'm not comfortable with this application idea. The adhesive specification is for use with large tiles however I have never seen a professional use allready mixed adhesive for a tile installation. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Pic 1. Suggested tile adhesive
Pic 2. Porcelain 12x24 tile

GH

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-13, 12:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
I too have never used pre-mixed. Mainly because of the cost. I generally use the dry bagged type you mix with water. If the thinset mix does not contain it I usually add a bonding/strength additive.

Old 03-14-13, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What do you have on the walls now, as the backing for your tile?

Old 03-14-13, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Don't waste your time and money on the premixed stuff. I do like the word "universal" on the can. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Old 03-14-13, 06:15 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Something that sits in a can and not sets up over the course of months does not sound like something I want under my large tiles that will be on the wall.

How have you prepared your walls to accept the tile. Cement Backer board with all seams taped and covered with thinset? Is this a wet area or the general area of the bathroom? Give us a little more info to work with. In the mean time, don't crack the seal on that ready-mix stuff yet, it makes it harder to return for credit.

Old 03-14-13, 10:01 PM
D
I like TEC 3N1 lightweight mortar... but there are lots of great mortar... with large tiles lightweight mortar provides a much more non-sag hold. I do not recommend pre mix.

Old 03-15-13, 08:19 AM
Backerboard

Shower surround is dura rock and then redguard was applied. This will be a wet area tapering off to a non wet area.

Old 03-15-13, 09:46 AM
I just went to the tile store and picked up 705 pro set plus by merkrete. Their are so many choices but with the advice from a pro this was what I decided upon.
Can I install all in one day? Or 4 feet a section up and across?
Thank you to all

Old 03-15-13, 03:04 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Check your tub for level to see if you can start with a full tile set on spacers. If it is out of level, you will need to put up a ledger board set at a height just smaller that the size of your tile, say around 11 inches then go back and finish the first course later. You can set the whole wall in a day if you are that ambitious. First time tiling a wall will go slower than you think, especially with those monster tiles. Your wall needs to be super straight without any waves unless you are going vertical with your tiles. Have spacers ready, keep a level line so the side walls line up with the back wall, and keep an eye on "sag". You may need to use a 1/4" notched trowel with tiles that big to get adequate adhesion across a significant portion of the tile to the wall. Back butter if troweling the wall proves futile.

If you are going with a pattern lay (i.e. brick format) as opposed to a straight lay they recommend a 1/3rd stagger to prevent any visible defects from slightly warped/cupped tiles. Check to see if the tiles "rock" at all when placed on a level surface with either the front or back side up.

Have you rented a wet saw or are you using a manual cutter?

Old 03-15-13, 04:35 PM
Thank you so much. I appreciate your time. It will help me immensely. I am using my wet saw. I have tiled before; floors and backsplash but never a shower surround.