Ceramic tiling over ditra and particle board.

Old 03-24-13, 12:27 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tiling over ditra and particle board.

I'm remodelling my bathroom and I'm starting with my floor. I would like to install ceramic tile.
My floor has a plywood subfloor with particle board on top. The floor has a high point running down the middle with approx 1/8 gap on both sides so I need to level the floor before laying the tiles.

I've read that you cannot use self levelling compound on particle board so I was thinking about laying ditra on top of the particle board ,then self levelling compound on top of the ditra ,then install the ceramic tile.

Is this the right solution here?

Marc Dennis.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-13, 12:32 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The particle board need to be removed and replaced with a floor grade OSB or plywood. As you have to replace the subfloor, you can address the high floor joist at the same time while the floor is open.

Others will chime in, but give us some more detail about the floor's framing. How big is the bath, what is the spacing of the floor joist? Max unsupported span, and size of floor joists?

Old 03-24-13, 12:43 PM
M
Thanks for the reply.

I can see taking up the particle board,but do I have to take up the plywood floor underneath? Can the plywood floor stay then put a 1/4 plywood floor or ditra on top then self levelling compound then lay ceramic tile?

The bathroom is 6x 12 with 2x10 joists with 16 inch centres. The floor joists span runs the length of the bathroom which is 12 ft.

Old 03-24-13, 12:54 PM
W
Marc - Since you are in Canada can you confirm what you are calling particle board is not what we call OSB (oriented strand board). Particle board isn't much more than sawdust/shavings held together with glue and it would be unusual for it to be used as a floor component here.

I would pull up the particle board and see what you have underneath. Depending on the thickness of the plywood subfloor you should be able to add a sheet of plywood and then cover that with ditra or cement board.

Old 03-24-13, 12:55 PM
The plywood base should be a minimum of 3/4" thick for ditra, 1/4 inch plywood is not recommended for use under tile. I prefer to beef my subfloors up to 1 1/4" (1/2" + 3/4") and then add CBU.

You have to prime the subfloor (see manufacturer recommended surface primers, not paint), mechanically fasten wire lathe to the subfloor then you can pour self leveling compound. Then you are at the mercy of how good your pour is as to how even the floor is. SLC's do seek there own levels, buy you still have to massage it as you go.

It is much easier, and with guaranteed results, to take up the extra layer of plywood and address your joist problem than is is to float a new floor, IMO.

Old 03-24-13, 03:53 PM
M
Hi Wayne! Yes it is particle board. There was vinyl on top and when we removed it to prepare the floor for tile we discovered the 1" particle board. Problem is in the middle of the floor the joist is slighting bowed. I was going to lay SLC but manufacturer does not recommend laying on this substrate. Tearing up both the sub floor and particle board seems to be my only option, plane down the high joist and relay. I was hoping to avoid that as it will make a larger job. Any recommendations would be great.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Marc dennis; 03-24-13 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 03-24-13, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Eeewwww!! You do have particle board! It is an oddity to say the least. It's gotta come up. If your subflooring is solid, and you can correct your hump, you can install 1/2" plywood over the 3/4" you have and continue.

Old 03-25-13, 03:39 AM
It is always possible that the particle board has swollen due to moisture and that is the actual cause of the hump in the floor. You will be better able to tell once you get down to the plywood underneath.

Old 03-25-13, 06:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Yep, get rid of that particle board and then evaluate what you have to determine the next steps.

Old 03-25-13, 05:06 PM
M
Thanks everyone. Czizzi, I hope your right on the hump.