Backsplash issues

Old 04-01-13, 09:01 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backsplash issues

I am trying to remove the old kitchen sink area backsplash and put in a new one.

However, removing the old tiles it seems that drywall paper also comes out. The tiles were glued to the drywall using some adhesive. It seems the drywall was installed so that backside i.e. little harder paper was facing out and tiles were glued to the drywall's backside.

What do I need to do to repair the drywall damage i.e. paper coming out while peeling off the tiles. Should I repair it with drywall mud or get wood filling and then sand it even. Also the old glue leaves prominent canals on the wall. Do these need to be sanded also. I am afraid mechanical sanding can eat through the drywall too.

Also, should I just get some adhesive and glue the new tiles to the drywall or should get I atleast 1/8" plywood and screw it to drywall and then put the adhesive on.

Would the same be true for shower tiles too or I really really really need to have a cement board backing for shower tiles.

Btw, I plan to use 12" x 12" tiles in Kitchen backsplash. Not decided on shower tiles size yet.

Thanks all!

Old 04-02-13, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You can skim coat the backsplash area with drywall compound. I like to use a setting compound in powder form. It sets up faster and seems harder than the bucket stuff. Mix a little at a time so it won't harden on you too quickly. After it is sanded smooth, you can apply your tile. Are you sure you want to put 12 x 12 tile for a backsplash? Awfully big tile for such an area, but it is your choice.

Shower tiles should NEVER be set on sheetrock. If they are, it is a failure in the background waiting to happen. You really, really, really need CBU behind your tile in the shower.

Old 04-02-13, 03:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
It's usually a good idea to seal damaged drywall [exposed gypsum] with either an oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz before applying any joint compound. That prevents the moisture in the j/c or latex paint from dissolving the gypsum.

I also think 12x12 tiles are too big for a backsplash but if the grout lines are narrow and the grout color close to the tile color - it might look good

Old 04-10-13, 05:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sometimes it's easier to just remove the drywall behind the sink and put a new piece in. It's a lot faster. Less mud and no dust from sanding.
Never apply tiles directly to plywood. It expands and contracts. It may hold up for years but will eventually cause the tiles to pop off. I have seen guys do this regardless when the drywall above the counter is uneven.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: