Does thinset shrink

Old 05-01-13, 10:26 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does thinset shrink

I am installing 13 X 13 tiles on a floor. I was going to do this a couple of hours at a time. I was wondering if thinset shrinks. That would be problematic if I did not do all the tiles at once if i set the tiles to the level of that tiles that were installed earlier. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-13, 11:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 688 Votes on 635 Posts
Any shrinkage in that direction would be unnoticeable so you don't need to worry about it.

If doing it in stages I like to scrape up any excess thin set at the edge of the work area before it hardens. It comes up much easier when it's soft and you don't want any hardened thin set under your next batch of tiles since it will prevent the tile from squishing down and adhering properly.

Old 05-01-13, 11:54 AM
T
Will do. Thank you so much

Old 05-03-13, 09:45 PM
J
Thin set does shrink but when applied the normal thickness it's very little. Thin set can also droop with the weight of the tiles. It's very important the you use a thin set rated for large/heavy tiles if it applies. Generally speaking, a 13" tile needs a "medium-bed" mortar. What are you using, over what in what room? Also make sure each batch is mixed just like the others.

It's never a great idea to do just small areas at a time. But sometimes there's no choice.

Jaz