Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

About To Lay Ceramic Tile In Kitchen.....What About The Appliances??

Old 05-06-13, 04:16 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've got a small kitchen that is shaped like a U and it runs into a small bathroom and laundry room. Anyway, there is a refrigerator, stove, washing machine and dryer that all have to be moved, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing this.

I figured I'd push everything to one side, lay the ceramic down on the free side, then when it's all set I'd push everything over to the freshly laid tile side. But I'm worried about that little lip that would exist between the un-tiled side and the tiled side. I can't think of a feasible way to slide all those appliances over it.

So what do the pros do when confronted with this dilemma??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-13, 04:49 PM
They bring another guy so that they can pick everything up and gently place it down. If you are doing all these areas with the same tile and same grout, I recommend moving all this stuff out into the living room. You will have a chance for a better finished product if you do all the grouting at once. If there is a threshold between the rooms, I might do the bathroom and laundry room first, lay the tile, grout, seal and put the appliances back. Good luck, have you ever laid tile?

Old 05-06-13, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
I'd move it all out of there for a couple days, since you will have to tile everything, then grout everything. If you were to slide appliances around several times back and forth, you would surely scratch up the tile and grout. Best to get them completely out until you're done.

Old 05-06-13, 05:05 PM
M
There's no threshold so I probably will have to move everything out. I could find someone to help move but I was wondering if there was some type of hand cart or something they slide under it and lift it up with.

Yes, I laid ceramic tile once in another hallway and it went well. I made mistakes but this time I won't make them again.

Old 05-06-13, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
You can rent an appliance cart, the 2 wheeled kind with the strap that goes around the appliance.

Old 05-08-13, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
For about $45, you can buy a set of Teflon skids at any store that sells carpet tools. They are handy to have around to move furniture any time.