Hello and sub floor question

Old 05-12-13, 01:16 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello and sub floor question

First off let me say hello to everyone, i,m Robert new to the site, i've started another DYI project, a remodel of the Master bath. I have gutted it, drew up the plans, have most of the rough in done but have a question or 2 on the subfloor.
First Master bath is on the second floor, floor joistes are 2"x12" 16" centers, 14' lenght, covered with 5/8" T&G plywood. I'm planning to put down 1/2" hardy board with thinset and screws then tile over that with 3/8" porcelain tiles.
Most of the floor is fairly level and flat except for the first 16" of floor at the doorway from the bedroom and the wall for about 4 1/2' ,laying a stright edge from the backwall to the doorway the first 9 1/2" of the room is level and flat then at the first joist into the room it drops off about 1/2" going into the bedroom, like the joist is high in that area.
Do I need to remove the subfloor and level out the joist or can I use a self leveling compound on the floor before laying the cement board. if so what would be the best over wood flooring?

Thanks for any information or suggestions offered.

Robert

Old 05-12-13, 05:16 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is the floor low in that area because the wall was built on the subfloor parallel to the joists but erected between the joists so that the wall is exerting pressure on the subfloor and deflecting it down? (sorry for the run on sentence)

Or do a rough sketch and relay that to us for review. Your description is somewhat confusing.

Old 05-12-13, 07:44 AM
I
If that wall is parallel to the joists then slc won't hold and will crack. Unless you support or raise the wall up which doughtfull to do as this is second floor. I would pull the T&G and sister the joists to the correct hight.

Old 05-12-13, 10:52 AM
R
Heres a basic drawing showing problem thanks for the quick response
Robert

Name:  bathroom.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  6.0 KB

Old 05-12-13, 10:55 AM
R
Sorry for the small drawing it was a lot larger when i drew it will try to correct.

Old 05-12-13, 02:19 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Does the floor creak when you walk past the doorway and step on that section of subfloor between the joist?

Take a glass of water 1/2 full and set it on the floor in various areas where you have shaded but particularly in the door threshold area. With the glass on the floor, walk around and observe the glass. Does the water make ripples when you step near it.? Does it wiggle? Do a little jiggy dance and let us know what you observed. Compare to other areas in the center of the bathroom. Let us know... I'm testing the integrity of the sub-floor.

Where are the nearest T&G edge joints in relation to the shaded area. Update your sketch to note these items if you could.

What kind of floor is in the bedroom? Is that floor being changed out as well?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: