First time tiling, any advice is appreciated

Old 07-21-13, 10:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First time tiling, any advice is appreciated

Planning a tiling project and think I can figure this out. It's just a 36 sq foot laundry room so nothing big...but was hoping some people more experienced than I could lend some advice.

The room is right off the kitchen which has ceramic tile already on it. The existing floor covering is a vinyl/linoleum product. Because the rooms are essentially connected, I want to make the floor coverings the same.

Name:  image (4).jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  29.8 KBName:  image (6).jpg
Views: 934
Size:  34.4 KBName:  image (7).jpg
Views: 827
Size:  38.7 KB

My first question is...after I remove the existing surface...will I need to put down a concrete board? The height difference now between the top of the tiled surface to the top of the vinyl surface is right around 1/2". Will I need a 1/4" cement board down first and then trowel the mortar/thinset before laying the tile?

Name:  image (8).jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  30.3 KB

My next question is....obviously, I will have to remove the shoe molding...but what about the additional base board when lay the new tile. Also, typically with the shoe molding, is this something that can generally be recycled and put back on, or will it likely be damaged in the process?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb or amateurish. Never done this before and while I think I could figure it out at the time, I'd prefer to be as educated as possible going into it.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-13, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The only dumb questions are the ones you are keeping to yourself. Yes, you should remove the linoleum and install 1/4" Hardiebacker or equivalent, thinsetting it to the subflooring and screwing in the prescribed manner stamped on the face of the board. Then thinset and tile should bring you up to the level of the old tile. I would start at the doorway, as odd as it seems, so your joint will be a full tile. You should be able to reach across the floor to install the remaining tile, or tile as far as you can and do the rest tomorrow.

As far as the baseboard, yes remove it all, very carefully. Using a thin but wide prybar will help remove it without damage. Don't worry about damaging just above the baseboard, as you will be raising it 1/2" due to the tile. Number the pieces so you can put them back in the same order.

If you have further questions, we are here.

Old 07-22-13, 05:46 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Underneath the linoleum is usually a 1/4" thick piece of plywood. That needs to be removed as well. It is not suitable for tile installations. Removing this will increase the height differential to the existing tiled floor, but we have several different underlayments available that we can use to raise, stabilize and provide superior adhesion qualities for your new tile floor.

If you can lift the floor heat register and tell us what the makeup of the subfloor is, we can better guide you as to what to install. Tell us how many layers of subfloor are under the linoleum and what type of subflooring (OSB, Plywood, Particle Board, etc) if found underneath.

Old 07-22-13, 09:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  25.1 KB

Tried taking a shot best I could with the floor vent pulled up.

Looks like there is a 1/4" inch sub floor on top

Attached Images