Ceramic tile removal

Old 02-16-01, 05:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Remodeling kitchen with new configuration. Need to remove tile (3" x 3" on 12" x 12" mesh lathe, cemented and grouted). Have heard heat gun speeds process. Do I need to Dremel the grout out? Naturally, I want to minimize drywall damage. Any tips for expeditious procedure?

Old 02-17-01, 04:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi Fitz,
we seem to get this question alot. Removing tile from drywall is an excercise in futility if it was properly installed. You generally destroy the drywall as large hunks of it stick to the back of the tile. You may be able to drive a thin putty knife behind it and pry it off. As for the heat gun if it was installed with mastic a heat gun may soften it up a little,(don't really know never tried it) but if it was installed with thin-set the heat won't do much of anything. Generally when I run across this type of thing I cut the whole thing out down to the studs and replace it with 1/2" hardibacker and re-tile, or if the customer allows it and its practical we tile directly over the existing tile (as long as there is a way to trim the edges wood , radius cap , etc.) You can give it a try, but it may not come off the way your hoping it does. Then again maybe it will!
Regards and Good Luck,

Rich Gately (Tileman1)

http://www.gatelytile.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: