decorative concrete tiles over slab.......did we ruin it?

Old 02-18-01, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

In the addition added to my friend's house, it appears they put 'concrete' tiles over the slab which are really very pretty and have an etched effect and a nice natural coloration. However, my friend cleaned them with moriatic (sp?) acid and later found there was a technicque where you use some sort of 'coffee ground' looking application and then paste over it for a very smooth, glossy and finished effect. Unfortunately, she later found out that by doing the moratic acid, it probably ruined the limestone in the tiles and doing this technique won't work because the chemical reaction will no longer occur. Is anyone familiar with the technique she has heard of and can this be remedied? Thanks ahead for your assistance.

Trish

Old 02-20-01, 04:18 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Trish,

I'm not an expert in concrete staining, but I can tell you that the muriatic acid did damage the tiles. Acid attacks the calcium in portland cement, and in so doing, weakens the other elements. Limestone is what portland cement is made from, and cement, of course, is a big part of concrete.

There are companies whose expertise is cleaning and refinishing various stone and cement floors. Maybe contact someone like that to see what can be done.

Sorry,

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: