Hardwood Floor Wood Type

Old 09-04-13, 09:35 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor Wood Type

(I posted this to the incorrect forum and do not know how it move it to another forum or delete the post).

My wife and I have been considering resurfacing our hardwood floors. Based on the below picture, can anyone provide me with a guess of the wood type. We are thinking Oak, but we are not certain. It is definitely a hard wood.

I have provided two pictures with different filters in hope of narrowing down the answers.

Thank you so much!

Name:  WP_000986.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  41.7 KB

Attached Images  

Last edited by Time2Go2Me; 09-04-13 at 09:42 PM. Reason: posted to incorrect forum
Old 09-05-13, 02:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The wood type is red oak, but due to differences in filters, I can't tell anything about the color of the stain. Looks to be a light oak stain with poly applied.

Old 09-05-13, 07:32 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor Wood Type

I believe the second picture is more indicative of the actual color.

Evidently, the finish is a Glitsa Swedish finish. According the finishing contractor notes, they used Glitsa Gold Seal or Gold Seal Lite Scent over Bacca or Glitsa Sealer.

Based on your experience with red oak, is this a refinish project my novice hands should attempt?

Thank you again!

Old 09-05-13, 09:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What type of 'refinish' job are you wanting to do. A full blown refinish including sanding down to bare wood and applying new stain/poly is a bit of an undertaking however lightly sanding and applying a coat of poly to freshen up the floor isn't a big job [not including moving all the furniture ]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: