Where grout meets wall/cabinet...how to correct

Old 09-18-13, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where grout meets wall/cabinet...how to correct

I am not a professional by any means but I am trying to do a lot of things around my home myself. The image attached is of my kitchen tile where it meets the cabinets. Hopefully you can see that there is a cracking of the grout and almost a gap between the grout and the cabinet.

How do I correct this?

Note: the picture seems to be uploading horizontal, but i took it vertical. hopefully everyone can see what they are looking at.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-13, 07:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've used caulk to fill in that type gap. The caulk, purchased when/where I bought the tiles, was made to match the color of the grout. If you have a tile store nearby, you might be able to bring a sample of the grout, and they could have a caulk that matches, or at least comes close to, the color of the grout.

Quick question regarding the orientation of your photo: Is that the bottom or the side panel of your cabinet? I ask, because if it is the bottom, you say have a bit more "wiggle room" in trying to match the grout's color.

Old 10-14-13, 07:38 AM
Thank you so much for your response. I apologize for not responding as I couldn't figure out how to find my post

I bought this Kitchen and Bath caulk the color of the grout. Does it have to be a specific kind. This just says Tubs, Sinks, Countertops, Fixtures.

For the picture...if you turn your head to the left you can see it correctly, or turn it one time clockwise. But if looking straight the left side is the cabinet, the middle is the gap in the grout meeting the cabinet, and the right is the tile.

Old 10-14-13, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Not sure what caulk you bought but regular caulking comes in colors and might be acceptable but there is also a caulk tailor made for grout joints. Instead of drying to a smooth/slick finish, it has sand [?] in it so it more resembles grout. The tile stores always stock the tile grout. It can be harder to find elsewhere.

Old 10-14-13, 12:30 PM
Thank you! I got the wrong caulk then. I need to get the sanded. I looked it up and it looks like I can get it at HD. Thanks for your help.