Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Reuse 12" flooring ceramic tile - mortar removal from back face of tile question

Reuse 12" flooring ceramic tile - mortar removal from back face of tile question

Old 10-12-13, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello Forum!

I recently removed several tiles (9 in one spot) from the floor in the utility room. The tiles came up easily from the mortar. In fact most of the mortar remained in place on the backer board.

I have since removed most of the mortar from the cement backer board and was planning on reusing the tiles, but there are concerns with what is on the back of the tiles, it's a type of residue or stain from the mortar.

Clickable thumbnail

Should I attempt to remove the residue before reusing the tiles? If so, what would be the best approach to clean the tiles.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-13, 04:05 PM
looks like the bond broke (walked on before the thinset was dry) or a poor quality thinset. You'll need to remove any lumps of thinset by scraping or grinding. If you removed the thinset from the backerboard and the tile will set level with the others then you're in good shape. the residue from the thinset on the tile is no big deal, just use a good modified thinset to reinstall them

Old 10-12-13, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It does look like a watery thinset application. Probably why it was so easy to take up.

Old 10-12-13, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the helpful advice!

Appreciate the words of advice.

I managed to remove the thinset off the backerboard with a shop vac and a small sander. Also used a stone chisel and a sledge to knock the ridges down to size.

Spent several evenings getting it all clean and smooth.

I did purchase a small pail of pre-mixed thinset, not sure if it's modified or not, will check and purchase the modified if not.

Thanks again!

Mike

Old 10-12-13, 08:46 PM
premixed thinset should not be used, its basically mastic with sand in it. use the dry mix in a bag

Old 10-12-13, 09:07 PM
Got it, get the good stuff.

Thanks again! :-)