Paint kitchen floor tile...?

Old 11-05-13, 05:42 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint kitchen floor tile...?

The 8' x 14' tile area remaining in the kitchen is a bland almond color; it's fairly glossly and in solid shape with clean grout lines. Can I paint it? I see some stuff on the net that says I can; I'd need to tape off the grout line, sand the tile to remove the gloss, then paint with an alkyd primer and paint. The let cure and seal. It almost sounds like as much work as hammering and grinding it up. Thus far, I've spent 4 hours to take up half of it; not so bad...I guess. Thoughts?

Old 11-05-13, 05:56 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No way would I ever, ever suggest anyone paint a tile floor.
What are you using to remove the tile?
A tool like this and you would have been done by now. HD rents them.
Bosch 11255VSR Bulldog Rotary Hammer

Old 11-06-13, 02:15 AM
A
Thanks, joecaption1. I have the DeWalt version of that hammer, and two very large airhammers that are driven @ 120psi. No hammer would have me done by now; the hammers are effective at breaking the tile up but will leave the thinset intact. The concussion of the sledge against the slab floor is leaving most of the thinset attached to the tile, coming off cleanly. Yeah, swinging any sledge is a chore; but those hammers are no jelly sammich.

Old 11-06-13, 02:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Bryant, you are going to be much happier (and so will wifey) if you go ahead and bite the bullet, remove the tile and replace it with a color she likes. Painting tile will be a no win situation, and you will use the rest of the paint on the dog house interior once you get settled in.

Old 11-06-13, 03:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Me three I'm not fond of painting wall tile and it doesn't get walked on. I'm a little surprised at the advice to tape off the grout lines - paint will adhere to the grout better than the tile. Once you get the new tile installed you'll wonder why you ever considered painting it.

Old 11-06-13, 04:45 PM
A
God bless ya, Fellas.....you're prolly indeed saving serious long-term marital conflict with your sage advice. The tile comes off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: