Ceramic tile cutting under cabinets?

Old 11-09-13, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile cutting under cabinets?

I have a condo that is about ten years old. A lot of the tiles in the kitchen and bathroom are coming up. Had a tile guy look at it and he recommended taking it all up, put a 1/4" underlayment down and using vinyl. Apparently, it was put directly on the sub floor and that dries out the thin set? I looked at vinyl today, it was a soft padded vinyl. I can't see putting this in a kitchen, looks like it would tear easily. This is a rental property. The vinyl squares are still the same "hard" vinyl but seem cheap.
Any ideas on what I could do with this floor? Also, I don't want to pull out all of the cabinets so was going to leave the tile under them. How could I cut these even with the cabinets? I know it would have to be some kind of scoring and breaking, not sure how to go about it? Thanks, TH

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-13, 07:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I cut them with a Toe Kick saw with a diamond blade and a brick chisle.
So pick a different linoleum that does not feel so soft.
I've seen many quality 25 year old linoleum floors that still look like new.

Old 11-10-13, 05:18 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Since it is a rental, and I know how rough renters can be on things, have you considered installing ceramic tile the proper way? It would outlast your renters and would not tend to come up since it appears the original was not put down properly. You would have to use 1/4' concrete backer underlayment or one of Schluter's products to give it the proper slip protection, but IMO, it would outlast linoleum by a yard.

Old 11-10-13, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
We switched from vinyl to ceramic in our units several years ago because we could install it cheaper than new vinyl. Not to mention it's much more durable so we're replacing the tiles a lot less often (actually, haven't replaced any yet) and it makes the unit seem a little higher end.

Old 11-11-13, 12:21 AM
Thank you for all the replies. Chandler, I have been thinking of sticking with tile. I looked it over today and think if I put a 1/4" underlayment down it may work out. I will have to raise the shoe molding but other than that it shouldn't be too bad. Here is the underlayment I am looking at. 1/4" - 4' x 8' IntegraPLY Underlayment at Menards
Think it will be suitable? It says it is approved by the tile association.
Mitch, I too am not too thrilled by vinyl. As a former Realtor I know how crazy people go over tile.

Old 11-11-13, 04:33 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have never used a wooden underlayment for ceramic tile. If it is approved for such use, then it would be OK. 1/4" hardiebacker is what I use, mainly for the pre-marking of screw locations if for nothing else. Easier for my guys to do it right than to guess at proper placement.

I think by using a hard tile, you will be ahead of the game by years, considering the vinyl may last only a fraction of the time of ceramic.

Old 11-12-13, 08:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
IntegraPly™ is the only plywood underlayment recommended for use with floor and wall ceramic tile by The Tile Council of North America (Clemson University).
I'd not be so quick to use this in 1/4" thickness under ceramic tile without getting more information from the company. The quote above from them says IntegraPly, but does not specify the thickness approved by the TCA. I don't know of any 1/4" plywood that can be used as an underlayment for ceramic tile. It needs to be 3/8" or thicker. You should contact the manufacturer and get a copy of the TCA "recommendation" to see if it includes 1/4" plywood. Also, the statement isn't true. There are many plywood underlayments that are used under ceramic tile all the time, but they are all 3/8" or thicker.

It doesnt say in any of their literature that this can be used as a bonding surface for the thinset and tile. It could be that they are saying that it can be used to strengthen a floor under an acceptable membrane or cement board product.

I don't know this product at all, but would definitely get more information before I use it. You would be better off using cement board or ditra if the floor is already stiff enough.

Old 11-12-13, 10:20 AM
I don't want to do it if it isn't right. This brings up another question. The tile guy said the reason my tile came up was because they put tile on top of the plywood flooring and it sucks the moisture out of the thin set. Looking at Hardiebacker and other fiber cement products, they use thin set on top of the flooring plus nailing/screwing. If thin set on plywood was the problem in the first place wouldn't this be the same problem? Thanks, TH

Old 11-12-13, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thinset used under cement board is not meant to bond the cement board to the plywood. Screws hold the cement board down. The thinset is used to fill any voids between the plywood and cement board thereby minimizing movement. Cement board is a much better bonding surface for the thinset and tile.