Green Board Tub Surround

Old 11-10-13, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Green Board Tub Surround

First time poster here,

Recently went through an insurance claim to replace my bathroom ceiling in an upper level condo. We had the shower/bath tile taken out along with the existing green board and replaced with the same type of green board that was there by the people who replaced the ceiling, which was green board as well.
After the job was done, I noticed that the joints in the tub surround where the new green board was hung had been taped and sealed with setting compound and painted over with what looks like primer. The mud job is not entirely smooth, and Iʻm wondering if this tub surround is appropriately prepped to be tiled with mud and primer on the walls?

From what I have read, I understand that durock or some kind of cement board would have been the best way to go, but if anyone has any suggestions without tearing out the new green board, that would be much appreciated. Also, Iʻm curious if I can install 1/4 hardibacker over the current situation?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-13, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
Yes, I always install durarock or cement board when installing tile. I would just remove the green board and install the proper cement backer to avoid building up the thickness by adding a backer layer on top of the green board.

Old 11-10-13, 06:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to need 1/2 backer, an oscillating saw would make quick work of cutting out the old sheetrock with no surround damage.

Old 11-10-13, 06:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I would question the contractor using green board behind the tile to start with!! While that was common place 40 yrs ago it hasn't been the industry standard for a long time. Is the same contractor going to do the tile work?

Like the others, I'd remove the drywall around the tub and install a vapor barrier and cement board - your tile job will last a lot longer!

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 11-10-13, 08:12 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm not going to justify the greenboard at all, but what color was the "primer"? Was it possibly RedGard? Not that it would negate the use of cbu or at least a Schluter product on the wall, just curious.

Old 11-10-13, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the forums!
Green board (1/2") requires ceiling framing no more than 12" on center; Chapter 7 - Wall Covering

I could see a problem in HI with a poly vapor barrier as well; Ceramic Tile Intstitute of America - Field Report #46
rather than house wrap or builders paper under the new backer board.

Gary

Old 11-11-13, 10:01 PM
Attached is a photo of one of the joints. I'm pretty sure it's mesh tape with 5 min setting compound. I understand that tearing out the green board is the best option, but is there anyway to go ahead with this? I would like to apply regard and tile over. Also, should I use the same 5 min setting compound to smooth out the joints or use thinset?
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Attached Images  
Old 11-12-13, 04:19 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If this is the inside of the shower, I would apply Schluter Kerdi Schluter-KERDI - Schluter-Systems per their instructions in order to keep from having to remove all the walls. I would have never allowed sheetrock in a wet area, but that's water under the bridge. You can download the installation PDF file on the site I mentioned, and it gives pretty good detail.

Old 11-12-13, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
How far down does the green board extend? If it is resting directly on the top, horizontal part of the tub I would cut it so that it's about 1/4" above the tub. This will help prevent any water that gets underneath your tile from wicking up into the green board.