Anti-Skid Cover for Porcelain Tile Floor

Old 11-19-13, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anti-Skid Cover for Porcelain Tile Floor

Some advise, please. I have an outdoor pool (with cool-deck) that morphs into a patio/porch (about 300 sq/ft). The patio/porch is covered with a very nice and rustic porcelain tile which costs too much for me to get rid of. Problem is, when the kids and grandkids come onto the patio from the pool with wet feet it's like a sheet of ice it's so slippery. Is there a transparent, anti-skid coating available that will keep the kids from killing themselves? HD sells a very nice spray-on can (from the RustOleum people). I used a dozen cans and it worked great for about six months but traffic caused it to wear off. RustOleum advises they do not have that product in any other medium. Your knowledge and experience will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-13, 01:17 PM
Its been a few years since I seen it, but a janitorial supply house had a product you put on floors that made them less slippery, I can't recall the name, but it worked quite well. I'm not sure if it can be applied outdoors as the sunlight might turn it yellow, it was sort of a clear wax coating. Also have you considered the traction/anti slip strips they sell for steps and entry ways?

Old 11-19-13, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't allow sticky strips in my home, maybe the warehouse.

There a many anti-slip products available. A couple to consider are; Slip Grip - Slip Grip by Floor Safety Enterprises & SafeGrip - Fix Slippery Tile - anti-slip treatment for tile.

Read their description and directions, but as I recall they are mild acids and work by etching the surface a little. You can expect about a 15% reduction in gloss and a big improvement on coefficient.

A sealer such as Miracle Sealant 511 Impregnator will also make the tiles less slippery. (I know that sounds odd, but it does). The good thing is that the tiles will not be permanently etched, however because it's not permanent, the tiles will need to be retreated periodically.

Jaz

Old 11-20-13, 10:44 AM
Outstanding information, JazMan. I am reviewing the products now.