Concerns about Durock install

Old 11-20-13, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concerns about Durock install

I installed durock over plywood in preparation for a slate tile install. On one piece, I laid out the thinset, and when I laid down cement backer board, I laid the board a bit too far from the wall (about 8"), so I pushed it until it was flush with the wall. I think by doing this I must have shifted some of the thinset underneath, because I noticed that the board has a slight dip in it, of maybe 1/16"-1/8". Is this going to be a problem, or will it be taken care of when I put thinset over it to lay the tile. This is obviously my first time laying tile. I know slate is uneven anyway, and I'm going to have to add thinset to varying degrees regardless to make everything level, so should I be worried about the slight waviness of the durock?

Another question I have is, when laying slate, is it best to use thinset or medium set, I've heard conflicting opinions.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-13, 10:22 AM
Anyone have any advice? My only concern is that the waviness will cause the tiles to crack, as I'm sure I can build up enough thinset (or medium set ) to compensate for the slight height variation.

Also, I have a couple of other questions.
-What type of sealer should I use for slate?
-How do I determine the center line of the room? The room is an L shape hallway/mudroom.
-How thick should I lay on the thinset? The slate has a good amount of variation to it.

Old 11-22-13, 04:40 PM
I installed durock over plywood in preparation for a slate tile install. On one piece, I laid out the thinset, and when I laid down cement backer board, I laid the board a bit too far from the wall (about 8"), so I pushed it until it was flush with the wall. I think by doing this I must have shifted some of the thinset underneath, because I noticed that the board has a slight dip in it, of maybe 1/16"-1/8". Is this going to be a problem, or will it be taken care of when I put thinset over it to lay the tile. This is obviously my first time laying tile. I know slate is uneven anyway, and I'm going to have to add thinset to varying degrees regardless to make everything level, so should I be worried about the slight waviness of the durock?
Yes -- thinset will be used to make up a minor dip when you back-butter the tiles. Not to worry --- you were correct in your thinking.