Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Is Thompson's Water seal an appropriate sealer for porcelain tile and grout?

Old 11-23-13, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm having a new house built. The flooring subcontractor installed porcelain tile in the kitchen and bathrooms but did not seal the grout. My contractor said he would seal it. I think they used Thompson's Water Seal all over the whole floor. Is this OK to use on tile? It's a little sticky right now, but hopefully that will not last.

Thanks,
Patti

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-13, 09:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wrong product and it's one that comes out on the bottom of the Consumers Digest test year after year. you now have a waxy film all over the floor.

Old 11-24-13, 04:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Welcome to the forums Patti!

Did they seal just the grout? or the whole floor
Scrubbing the tile with mineral spirits should remove the TWS from the porcelain. You'll need to change out rags frequently to keep from just moving the TWS around.

Since thinner soaked rags can combust on their own it's important to dispose of them properly! You can dry them outside where they get plenty of ventilation, burn them or enclose them in a metal container with a tight lid.

Old 11-24-13, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your replies. They did the whole thing! They told me they seal tile and all, not just grout, but I thought they would use a sealer made for this purpose. The tile in the kitchen and master bath are sticky, the tile in the other bathrooms (different tile) don't seem to be, so maybe it will improve some on it's own. I have no idea why they would do this. To save money I guess, but we've made it VERY clear through the whole build that even though the budget is not endless, we didn't want to cheap out. Now I wish I had just done it myself, but then that's what I'm paying them for! GRRRR.

Patti

Old 11-24-13, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I'm a painter, not a tile guy but I think the TWS will be ok on the grout. I don't know that it will ever dry to a trouble free state on the porcelain. There are some unfinished tiles that need a sealer but I've never heard of any one trying to sela porcelain or glazed tile before. Can you get them to come back and scrub the tile with mineral spirits?

Old 11-24-13, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Generally speaking, porcelain tile does not need to be sealed, usually only natural stone tiles need that. I wouldn't ever use Thompsons on anything but it's not even meant for tiled floors in the first place.

Tell me these guys haven't been paid yet.

Old 11-24-13, 04:01 PM
If it's still sticky tomorrow, I'll see what he has to say. They still have several other things to take care of before they receive final payment, but it feels like they will NEVER tie up all the loose ends so we can start moving. We have not sold the house we are living in so the only rush is just that I'm ready to move on, get these people out of my new house and take it over myself. Thanks for the advice. I was hoping for reassurance, but felt I would get the very answers I got. I don't know what they were thinking.

Will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again,
Patti

Old 11-25-13, 09:10 PM
WOW, Thompson's water seal indoors on porcelain tiles, that's a first for me.

Thompson's isn't even a very good product when used as intended.

I wonder what else these genesis did wrong.

Jaz

Old 11-26-13, 05:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I know "why" they did it. Good sealer can run $80 a gallon....TWS about $20. But I don't know "WHY" they did it. As the others have mentioned it is the wrong product and the sticky won't go away, especially if they used TWS Advanced. Be prepared to have them do it right.

Old 11-26-13, 06:26 AM
I'd have to agree (just yet another opinion) that TWS is not the correct product for this application. A friend of mine who builds stone chimneys, patios, etc. has had me helping him out with applying the sealer in the summer. The stuff he uses is around $125 a gallon or something like that.

Compared with TWS at around $30/gal., I'd say they cheaped out. However, I've never heard of people sealing porcelain tile in the first place for that matter.

Can't believe they thought they could get away with that and not get caught.