grouting an accent wall with different thickness tiles

Old 11-24-13, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
grouting an accent wall with different thickness tiles

I have just tiled an accent wall using small rectangular pieces of tile on a mesh backing and I am now ready to grout but the problem is that the tiles are all different thicknesses so a rubber float is no use. What is the best method for this type of tile?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-13, 08:26 AM
Received 121 Votes on 111 Posts
The rubber float should still be the tool of choice. Forcing the grout into the spaces at a 45 degree angle and the float tilted at a 45 degree angle. Then let set for a few minutes before wiping excess grout from tile surface with a damp sponge or cloth. If I'm understanding this correctly the tile pieces are of different heigth then the grout will only fill up to the shallowest tile, leaving the higher ones edges exposed. I've never seen this before. Send us a pic of the tile.

Old 11-24-13, 08:42 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I agree with Norm that the rubber float should be all you need. For the occasional problematic area, your finger will assist in pushing the grout to the lower areas. Provided of course that the edges of the tile are not too sharp.

Old 11-25-13, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i appreciate the advice but there are too many raised tiles to use a rubber float. I don't have a picture of the tile but I bought them at Lowes. I am thinking to use an icing bag, can you see any issues or problems with that?