hardiebacker over particleboard w/uneven floor

Old 12-11-13, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hardiebacker over particleboard w/uneven floor

I am redoing the floor on a small bathroom; it's 20 sq. ft.
The floor is somewhat uneven; some of the glue and backing remained after we removed the linoleum. This stuff is very well connected to the particleboard, we have chiseled at it and removed everything we can. It does make the floor uneven.
The floor is particleboard over 5/8" plywood.
My plan was to float 1/4" thinset on the floor, hopefully leveling it, and then connect the Hardiebacker with 1-5/8" screws - screws long enough to go through the 1/4" BackerBoard, PB and into the plywood.
Removing the PB is not practical since the walls were apparently installed over the PB!?
Question:
1. Is this a acceptable idea? The bathroom is in a guest apartment;it will rarely be used.
2. In the tile laying phase, is there a thinset product i can use that could help eliminate any grout cracks that may appear in the event there is some deflection?
Thanks for any help you-all can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-13, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't think it's ever a good idea to tile over particle board, are you sure it's PB and not OSB [chipboard]? How thick is the PB? I'm a painter not a tile guy but they should be along later so stay tuned

Old 12-11-13, 02:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sawmill garbage mixed with glue never makes a good choice for a bathroom unless you are the person hired for big bucks to tear it out and do it right after it has swollen up like a sponge and started to come apart. Maybe hardey backer would protect it but I have had to tear out way to much of it to ever use it myself.

Old 12-11-13, 05:05 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I doubt the particle board goes under the walls, it does probably go under the baseboard molding which should be removed. Under NO circumstances should you attempt to tile over particle board unless you are in the habit of wasting good money to save a nickle. I have removed enough particle board to be really mad at the person or company that invented it. Any moisture exposure, I mean ANY, and it swells up like a balloon and falls apart. You may have been saved because you had vinyl over it which is impervious to water but tile is not water tight. It will fail, just a matter of time.

Also, thinset is not an approved skim coat material to float a floor. Remove the particle board, replace with 3/4" advantech, then you have no need to skim coat anything.

Old 12-11-13, 06:37 PM
Pb

The lino was not connected very well, much of it was curled up at the edges. Being adjacent to the shower, no doubt much water has gotten on it over the years, and it looks pretty good...as far as still being hard and having good shape. It looks like possibly the glue they troweled on to "fasten" the lino to the plywood acted like water-proofing.
There is no baseboard.
I couldn't take it any more so I just went out there and exposed the wall framing by busting out some drywall in the garage. The floor is in fact 1/2"plywood under 1/2" particle board - under the wall framing?! 2 X 8 @ 16" OC with a 10' span.

Old 12-11-13, 07:09 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Will take your word that the PB goes under the framing. Either way, it is not an approve substrate for use under tile. It needs to be removed and replaced with Plywood or an OSB floor underlayment.

Old 12-11-13, 07:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Even 1/2 subflooring was a bad Idea. No idea why they used to do that.
Use a Toe kick saw and a sawsall with a short wide wood cutting blade to cut right along the bottom of the wall.
Home Depot rents them.
I flat out refuse to lay any flooring in any room over particle board.