adjoining separate rooms.

Old 12-30-13, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adjoining separate rooms.

I am currently tiling my basement, it has two separate rooms and an area at the bottom of the stairs. I started from the center of the smallest room first and worked my way out from the middle. I am now at the point where I worked my way out the door and I am ready to start laying tile in the large room and doing the area at the bottom of the stairs last.

I want to start in the middle of the large room so it will be uniform, the problem is the tile will not line up with the tile in the doorway of the small room. I need some advice on how I could potentially lay the tile and have them match up with the previous room, but keep the large room uniform as well. I attached two pictures to give a better idea.Name:  tile 1.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  8.7 KBName:  tile 2.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  8.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-13, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
You could lay a border or transition tile at the door opening of the 2 rooms.

Old 12-30-13, 08:41 PM
You shoulda started with the large room. You can now either continue from the doorway perhaps making a slight adjustment to "square" the tiles to the large room and still match the joints. Or, do as Mark suggested. But I have a feeling you've already tiled to the threshold. Don't see, the pics are too small to see.

Why would you wanna start in the middle of the large room? There is no need for that. You can start at the most convenient spot and still control the size of all the cuts. Just use your tape measure, and grid lines at every tile joint or rows of 2 tiles.

I have never started ceramic tiles in the center, makes no sense. It works well for vinyl tile, but not ceramic. You can walk on vinyl tiles right away, not so with ceramic of course.

Jaz

Old 01-03-14, 09:00 AM
I would have rather started in the large room but there is a pool table and other furniture, my plan was ton finish one room and move everything into there and then finish the other. So your saying if I slightly make the joints larger or smaller I can make it so the room is uniform? I layed a row of tile across, on one side I have a full tile and on the other I have about a 6 inch cut. I will need to make up about 6 inches through the joints.

Old 01-03-14, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by andrew
So your (you're) saying if I slightly make the joints larger or smaller I can make it so the room is uniform?
No, No, I'm not saying that at all. It would take you 80-90 ft. to gain 6" a bit at a time.

Originally Posted by andrew
I layed a row of tile across, on one side I have a full tile and on the other I have about a 6 inch cut. I will need to make up about 6 inches through the joints.
Why? No you don't

It would make it easier if you would let us know the measurement and shape of the room and exact size of the tiles......but.

You do not have to start with a full tile against the first wall. You can cut a few inches off the first tile and therefore the last will be a few inches bigger. However, there's nothing wrong with ending with a half tile.

Do you have the ability to make a sketch with measurements?

Jaz

Old 01-05-14, 08:26 AM
I did a sketchup of the basement with measurements. My tiles are 11 and 13/16. I have already tiled the small room to the doorway.Name:  basement.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  8.1 KB

Old 01-05-14, 03:22 PM
I've enlarged the new sketch but the numbers are too small, I can only make out 2 or 3 measurements.

I can't tell where you've stopped the tiles. There is no doorway in the sketch although I think I know where it is. What is that diagonal dotted line?

Too late now but that long wall on the right would have made a good starting spot after squaring and adjusting for the opposite wall.

Jaz

Old 01-05-14, 03:28 PM
The diagonal line is where the doorway is located. I have decided to just continue on from the doorway and what ever I end up with is how it is going to be, It wont be that noticeable since I will have furniture along that wall. I regret not starting in the large room, but it can't really be undone now.

Old 01-05-14, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew
I have decided to just continue on from the doorway and what ever I end up with is how it is going to be,
That's probably the best choice anyway. You can easily figure out the size of the cuts on the main walls by using your tape measure. You should do this in case a minor adjustment makes it work out better. You also have to make sure you stay square/parallel with the walls.

Jaz