Type of glue for Tileboard

Old 12-30-13, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type of glue for Tileboard

Hi again,

My project that started out just changing out the spout in the bathtub has now blown up into needing to put a new face in the bathtub. ATM tileboard is what my budget is capable of doing so that's what I'm going with. I want to do it right though as I really don't want to work in the bathroom again and was wondering what type of glue should I use for the tileboard. This Aquatile 1/8 in. Toned White Tileboard-709108 at The Home Depot is what I was buying but didn't know if I should buy the flooring glue here Roberts 2001 1-gal. Felt-Back Sheet Vinyl Glue Adhesive, Superior Grade-2001-1 at The Home Depot or just go with liquid nail Liquid Nails 1 Gal. Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic Panel Adhesive-FRP-300 01 at The Home Depot.

Also wanted to add that, as seen in the picture, the tile board will be glued to the existing ceramic tile. Would this be a good idea or should I remove the ceramic tile and glue the tile board to the wall? The only thing that would worry me about doing that is that the wall wouldn't be completely smooth as it is now and I would worry about air pockets from under the tile board.

Another problem that I have atm is that the tile only goes half way up the wall. This leaves a gap between the tile board and the wall because of the curve where the ceramic tile ends. How do I go about remedying this? I don't think the tile board will be able to be curved over the rounded part without peeling up.

Thanks for the input.

Name:  mms_picture.jpg
Views: 3373
Size:  28.9 KB

Last edited by mystang89; 12-30-13 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-13, 08:16 PM
Definitely do not use the vinyl sheet flooring adhesive. Of those listed I think the Plastic Panel adhesive is best. Cove base adhesive will work too. You need a semi-thick adhesive that can be troweled over 100% of the surface.

This kind of product as you know is low end and is not likely to last a long time. But if you install it properly you can get a bunch of years of use. You have to use the moldings made for it, and fill the groove with caulk before inserting the panels in to them.

You need the moldings at the tub/wall, the inside corners, and where the panel ends. The most likely area to fail is at the tub/wall intersection and the sides of the tub going down to the floor.

Again, you'll be lucky if it looks decent for several years.

Love their description; "for anyone who loves the ceramic appearance of tile"

Maybe in the dark, after a pint of Jack!

Jaz

OH..... the photo finally appeared. I have no idea how you're planning to fix the wall now. Certainly not with your plan "A".

You need to rip everything out and start over. It's a total remodel probably.

Old 12-31-13, 06:59 AM
lol - yeah, they say a picture is worth a thousand words and I figured this one would help people to really see what it is I'm working with.

Old 12-31-13, 09:37 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
What does the damaged area look like? I'm having a hard time figuring out how you are going to make it look good with plastic panels...

We can probably assist with the tile repair more so than trying to put a band-aid over the whole thing. The thick mudbed and the cap tile will the challenge to making it look good. Show us some more pictures of what you are up against.

Old 12-31-13, 07:37 PM
I'll get the extra pics up as soon as I can. I agree with you about putting a bandaid over the situation too. The more I look at it the more I look down on that decision and I feel if I'm already regretting it that it will only get worse after its installed. Besides, theres an old saying that says, "Go big or go home". Ok, I don't know how old that saying is or not but we'll go with it.

Having thought the decision over I believe the best result, since the wife hates the tile anyway, would be to buy a bath tub wall insert that screws directly to the 2x4's like this one. Aqua Glass 60 in. x 32 in . Eleganza Bathtub Wall Set in White-39604 at The Home Depot.

Before that I'll probably go with buying a new tub as well since the tub is the same color as the tiles....green. She doesn't like that either. Wish I was a batchler sometimes. I was going to try to install a tub liner or diy refinishing but after reading reviews about the refinishing and reading some of the comments from people on this forum I think its best in the long run to fork out a bit extra money now and save myself the hassle. I'll still be installing the tub myself so there's the DIY story there.

Old 01-01-14, 09:16 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I would at least take the time to call in a couple of tub re-glazing companies for quotes. I have a good friend that does it for a living. The results are excellent. You will think that you have a brand new tub. They can also re-glaze the wall tile to match the tub area. The difference between the DIY tub refinishing kits and the pro re-glazer is in the amount and type of preparation. The pro's acid etch, prime and then spray on a finish coat. They perform all the same steps as the factory finish only they do not have the ability to bake on the finish in a kiln. I have him refinish all the tubs in my commercial hotel rooms as I renovate them. The tub itself is around $350 to $375. Tile in tub area about the same and I would guess a similar number for the walls. You will be hard pressed to get a new tub installed for that kind of money and there will be no tear out and mess.