Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

laying porcelain tile directly over existing tile on concrete floors

Old 01-18-14, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

In a small bathroom, in the basement there is small tiles tightly adhered to concrete flooring. I want to lay larger porcelain tiles over these existing tiles, if that is possible. I think trying to remove the existing ceramic tiles will damage the concrete beneath it as it does have a tight bond. Should I lie hardiboard or such between the two layers? Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-14, 05:12 PM
no need for cement board. You can tile over tile with proper modified thinset, remove any waxes or sealers, you might have to scarify the surface of the old tile for a better bond. Be aware that this will raise your floor, take into accout clearances at the toilet and doorways, baseboard etc. Its not hard to remove old tile with the right tools, a demo hammer with a chisel blade makes for quick work and usually the thinset is softer than the concrete under it

Old 01-19-14, 12:02 PM
Not only is there "no need" for concrete board, but there is no way to install it correctly to concrete.

Tile over tile is done all the time and can work well as long as you do all the right prep.

You can also apply this; ECO PRIM GRIPE by Mapei;Products

Jaz

Old 01-19-14, 01:37 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I think trying to remove the existing ceramic tiles will damage the concrete beneath it as it does have a tight bond.
Don't worry about the concrete beneath, it can be skimmed over. If the original tile is not set, I would remove before proceeding. All tile needs a firm foundation and if the current is iffy, get it out of there. It will come up easier than you think.