Can you lay ceramic tile over linoleum??????

Old 01-25-14, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you lay ceramic tile over linoleum??????

I just bought a house that has the original linoleum floors in it. The house is 26 years old but the linoleum is still in great shape it has no cracks and isn't pealing I just want to update and put ceramic tile. Can I put ceramic tile over the linoleum? The linoleum is on a concrete slab if that makes a difference . Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-14, 06:38 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You will be surprised at how "un-stuck" the linoleum actually is. Proper procedures would dictate that you pull the linoleum up and tile on top of the cement inself. For the amount of this I have done, the linoleum will come up easier than you think. Just use a utility knife and cut it into smaller strips and it will peel right up.

Old 01-26-14, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 233 Votes on 213 Posts
In addition to what czizzi said, linoleum is a little bit flexible so tile on top of it may crack. Also, thinset does not stick well to linoleum so your tiles will not stick well. Basically the linoleum must go.

The linoleum may come up easy or delaminate or leave the glue behind. Small areas can be scraped clean by hand. I like using a painters tool or flat garden hoe for bigger areas. A broad flat blade in a rotary hammer works for medium sized areas and for bigger areas they make floor scraping machines/tools.

Asbestos was sometimes used in linoleum and was not banned from building materials until 1977. If you are certain that the floor or house was built in the mid to late 80's you should be in the clear. If the house is 10 or so years older just be mindful that asbestos is a possibility.