Grout over freshly installed grout!

Old 01-31-14, 10:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Grout over freshly installed grout!

I grouted my newly installed floor a week ago, and it has dried white , instead of a rich gray. I haven't sealed it, and am really unhappy with the color, yet I don't want to have to remove all of the grout and start over. Can I add a thin layer to it of the right color since I haven't sealed it yet?

Old 02-01-14, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You need to remove at least 1/3 the depth I believe, to give the new a place to adhere. There may also be some type of stain you could use. Pros will be around...give 'em time.

Oh...what kind of grout did you use?

Old 02-01-14, 11:33 AM
J
Hi Stacey,

Vic is correct, grouting over grout is not gonna work.

All tile shops have grout colorants to change the color. In addition, the colorant also seals the grout pretty much permanently. I think it's an epoxy base.

Why did this happen? You probably mixed the grout too watery and/or used too much water in the cleaning stage.

Jaz

Old 02-01-14, 07:48 PM
S
I used Maipei grout from Lowe's. I read somewhere that enhancing sealer might darken it a little bit so I just applied in some test areas and am crossing my fingers. If that doesn't work, I will use a colorant. I measured the water very carefully and didn't overdo when I cleaned it but that must have been the problem. :/

Old 02-02-14, 08:00 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The sealer will darken initially, and lighten to original color once dry. Colorant is really more like a "grout paint" that you apply with a small brush. I have a client that swears by it, but have never really used it myself.

Old 02-02-14, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 774 Votes on 715 Posts
I think a lot of the time the white haze on the grout is a reaction caused by minerals (salts) in the water that was used. The haze appears as the water evaporates, leaving the minerals on the surface.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: