white haze on colored grout. is my first tile job a bust? help!

Old 02-09-14, 03:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
white haze on colored grout. is my first tile job a bust? help!

first time tiler here. did some mosaic backsplash in the kitchen. a mix of glass and marble tile pieces. 1/16 grout gaps. used Mapei Keracolor (unsanded) in color called biscuit.

so I saw in the Mapei bulletin the following, "To prevent efflorescence, discoloration and soft/powdery joints, avoid cleaning with excessive water." so I was very, very careful to wring the sponges almost bone dry and used light pressure. sopped up any excess water. still got a lot of areas where there is whitish haze on the grout lines, especially along the edges. but I have some grout lines that have basically turned white!

so short of scraping the bum areas out and doing it again, am I just out of luck here? or is there another solution? like can I let it dry overnight an rough it up a bit with a scrub pad or toothbrush or anything? ie, is this type of discoloration mainly superficial and I can kind of scrape it off? or maybe they (Mapei) sell like a touch up pen; guess I can look.

any advice is appreciated. cheers,

THB

Old 02-09-14, 04:51 PM
J
What you have is most likely latex leaching.

Originally Posted by from the TCNA
Less common than efflorescence is the white residue that can form on polymer-modified grout if the grout is subjected to excessive moisture before the polymers coalesce. Polymer additives are often added to grout to provide superior properties, commonly improved chemical resistance, reduced porosity, improved flexibility, and freeze/thaw stability. These additives are either already in the grout as redispersible powders or are added in liquid form. In both cases, grout mixed with too much water or cleaned too soon, or cleaned with excess water can cause the polymer to migrate to the surface. In many cases (but not all), these polymers are white in color. When the excess water evaporates, the white polymer is exposed.
Try wiping with hot water. Allow to dry a few hours. If the results are not good enough, try a 10-20% white vinegar/water mix. That should make it better. Otherwise allow to cure about 10 days and wash with Sulfamic Acids crystals de solved in water per directions.

Note: acids & cleaners can dull natural stone & etch metallic tiles. Always test all cleaning products before using.

Jaz

Old 02-09-14, 05:15 PM
T
thanks, Jaz (x2; I see you on another forum too). will try the hot water. then tomorrow night maybe the vinegar

take care

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: