Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Best Subfloor/underlayment option for installing tile on below grade concrete?!?

Best Subfloor/underlayment option for installing tile on below grade concrete?!?

Old 02-18-14, 10:45 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

So I've done alot of research on this and still am no sure.

My main goal is to insulate the tile (wood plank) moderately so that its not very cold. I do not want to use radiant heating coils. I also want to say away from using wood if possible.

Im looking for a underlayment or subfloor structure i can install to:

1.warm the tile surface.
2. be 1" or less.
3. use non organic materials so they dont crumble and grow mold from normal moisture or water from grout cracks.

I have looked at many options from:
1. using rigid insulation on slab covered by plywood treated with redguard
2. using a waterproof membrane like ditra or superseal.
3. dricore type panels
4. platon with plywood.
5. tyroc

The ditra or superseal would be the best, but i don't think it would give much insulation value.

tyroc seams like it would be the best but im not sure since it has flexibility and i do not see any reviews.

Thanks advance for any feedback.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-14, 06:37 PM
J
I don't know of any approved method to do what you wanna do. Tile needs to be installed either direct to the slab or over Ditra or similar product. If you want the floor warm, you have to install a warming mat system.

Otherwise consider another type of flooring.

Jaz

Old 02-18-14, 08:07 PM
T
Does the ditra provide any significant insulation? can anyone who installed this on slab verify.

Of all the radiant heating coils/matts, do they all generally use the same wattage per sq ft? are there more efficient brands?

thanks.

Old 02-19-14, 01:56 PM
J
Tom,

Ditra is not designed for insulating a cold floor. It's made to save a floor from failure by uncoupling the tilework from the substrate. If there is an insulating value, I'd say it's close to zero. The only thing separating the concrete and the thin set and tile is a layer of plastic about the thickness of a couple sheets of paper +-.

I would say the warming wires and mats are the same efficiency based on equal length of warming wire. Contact the manufacturer for their wattage ratings.

I recommend you check out Ditra Heat for this purpose. It'll be introduced in March. Looks like another Schluter winner! Schluter®-DITRA-HEAT ? Electric floor heating system with integrated uncoupling technology

Jaz