Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Removed linoleum to get glue off do I heatgun it/soak it/ or concrete cup it?

Old 03-05-14, 08:18 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Confused all the different ways to get linoleum glue off. Been sitting for 12yrs or so reading online I can either.

Heatgun parts of it and scrape it off

Soak it in towels that are full of hot water

Can't I just use a concrete cup wheel and a grinder to just grind it down to the concrete foundation?

Also doing a tile mosaic on a wall surrounding tile will be notched 1/2 ( 12x24 tile) will a 1/2 be too much for a mosaic and if it is will switching to a 1/4 affect the level of the tile relevant to one another?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-14, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
There is really no one way to remove the glue. It depends on the age of the glue, whether it has asbestos in it, and how thick it is. 12 years of research should have given at least some of the better ways. Really, you may have to try different methods.

I don't understand what your mosaic 1/2 will be. Is that a grout line, or what?

Old 03-06-14, 07:08 PM
A
The tile around the mosaic will be 1/2 trowel because of size. Can I use 1/2 on the mosaic even though it says 1/4 on package, I realize it will be thicker but wouldn't using 1/4 on one side of tile make it unlevel?

No asbestos in tile ,sorry about my writing I confused myself rereading it, it has been in house for 12 years. Gonna try a concrete cup to save me some time tommorow.

Old 03-07-14, 02:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You can set the mosaic in 1/2", but it causes un evenness unless it is precisely pressed into place. Too much pressure and you can get high and low spots. As well as squish out of thinset. Let us know how the cup disk works.

Old 03-11-14, 03:25 PM
A
Concrete cup did get some of the top layer of glue off but bottom layer is much toucher. Soaking it for 24hrs in a hot water/simple green mix to see if it gets easier to get off with a scraper otherwise i'll have to resort to a chisel and work my way around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: