First time tile job advise needed

Old 03-09-14, 11:37 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First time tile job advise needed

Hey guys, first post here, and I have to admit I only know enough to know that I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm planning on replacing the vinyl flooring in my half bath with 6x24 ceramic tiles, and was wondering if I have to put down some sort of backerboard over the OSB subfloor.

Here are what I think are the important details.

The room is 3' x 8'
The subfloor is 3/4" OSB
The structure underneath is engineered joists at 16 centers (Running across the 3' side)
There is also a steel support beam that runs across under one of the 8' walls, with as support post directly in the middle of the wall.

I'm trying to avoid building up the floor as much as possible. Can I tile direct to the OSB in this configuration?

Thanks
-Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-14, 04:27 PM
J
Hi Rob,

At least you know you need to ask. Even some "pros" don't know, and don't know they don't know.

Originally Posted by Rob
I'm trying to avoid building up the floor as much as possible. Can I tile direct to the OSB in this configuration?
Absolutely............not!

The 3/4" t&g OSB subfloor meets minimums if it's in good shape. The joists are probably fine too, but didn't follow exactly what you said. Tell me what is the longest span of the joists under the floor. Measure to the inch.

If everything checks out, you're gonna install either a concrete backer or a product such as Ditra. Ask how when you decide.

Before that, see how flat the floor is by using a long straight edge or long level or? You're not looking for level, you need flat. Report back.

Jaz

Old 03-11-14, 07:47 AM
N
What are you butting up to?

Since you have OSB down, lay down ditra or cbu like Jazman said. CBU is your cheapest option, just make sure you mud behind it and nail it down good.