cement board under an overhang

Old 03-11-14, 07:45 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cement board under an overhang

I've laid durock cement board down, got it screwed in finally (will use nails if there is a next time...) and I can't screw down the edge of the board that's under the overhand of the cabinet. Furthermore, there is a section that's bowed and it has obviously not adhered to the cement properly, as pushing down on it it has give.

Suggestions for fixing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-14, 09:07 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pull it back out.
Should have checked how flat the floor was first and leveled before the tile board went in.
If it's flexing it not going to support tile.

Old 03-12-14, 03:39 AM
C
The floor was perfectly level. The cement board was not. I don't know how to level cement board. I'm quite aware that if it's flexing it won't support tile.
But nothing to do but take out that piece and put in a new one huh?
The fact that this section of floor is likely never going to receive pressure doesn't matter?

Old 03-12-14, 09:01 AM
J
Hi Cavernio,

The floor was perfectly level. The cement board was not. I don't know how to level cement board.
Concrete boards are flexible, I don't see how this is possible. Are you sure the cat isn't missing?

Also, did you spread thin set mortar under the panels?

The fact that this section of floor is likely never going to receive pressure doesn't matter?
Right, it doesn't matter. Substrates and underlayments move all the time under normal conditions. You need to make a monolithic surface with the concrete backer. One reason to use it and why you have to tape all the seams. Joints on walls crack if not treated right, and I haven't walked on my walls lately.

Jaz

Old 03-12-14, 09:18 AM
C
I may be new to doing any of this work, but I did a **** ton of research on what needs to get done.

The cat IS missing...wait, I don't have a cat...lol

I didn't phrase that right, the cement board was bowed slightly and because I can't screw it in it stayed bowed. I guess I will cut out that piece and put in a new one and re-cement it. Yes I cemented underneath it all. Plan today is to tape the seams and seal them. And try to get the a;kj;gakjrgn;awkgj screws flush, 1mm is far too much if I'm putting a 3/4" tile on top of it.
You know there's something seriously wrong when the bit is getting stripped and not the screw...

Old 03-12-14, 09:54 AM
J
Well ok, next time you know what to do to avoid this.

Sounds like you're using Hardie backer. Sure the same is what wears out, same bit over and over, new screw every time.

Why not use roofing nails? Careful with the taping, don't create speed-bumps.

Jaz

Old 03-12-14, 10:25 AM
C
Too late to use roofing nails, next time if there ever is one, I'll know to do that. ;-p
Using Durock actually, the only cement board I could find in my city, not that I have any personal experience on knowledge on which brand to use. It's pretty crumbly, worried about a couple of spots in the future, but they're all along seams where I scored it to fit, so I'm cementing over them before laying tile anyways.

Old 03-12-14, 02:30 PM
C
Now that the cement is dry it barely has any give, only at the very edge of it. Tempted to not take it up but I know I should :-p

Got a brand new drill bit, worked like a charm to make those screws sit flush. Borrowed, cheap tool failure.

Old 03-13-14, 08:54 AM
C
Everyone will be pleased to know that I cut out the offending section and recemented in a piece that's holding sturdy.

Old 03-13-14, 08:28 PM
J
Ok, good job! What's next?

Jaz

Old 03-16-14, 02:34 PM
T
cement board

You did the right thing. If you would have left it and then put your tile down and the grout broke up, you would have kicked yourself (and the cat.)

Ted